What's new

Talk to me about points or "point" me in the right direction.

Round point, square point, Spanish point, barber notch, French point, did I miss any?.....What is the intended purpose of each type of point or the pros/cons of each point? Thanks!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
This should help: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Straight_Razor_Type_of_Tip_Point

The point or tip of the blade refers more to a finish or look. If you take a spike, those can cut you in an easier manner than a round point as if you put a tiny pressure toward the tip of the blade, the point can cut your cheek open. However, don't be scared or fall off your chair. It's not like you will be looking like Freddy Kruger before you know it. It takes a bit of practice.

Personally, I prefer a round point (a round tip) as I do not have to give too much attention to the tip of the blade. I can focus on the overall shave and it's good. Many like the spike and that's fine too!

Oh! I can't wait to hear this one. I'm wondering much the same. I was told, and see the deal with round point; less stabbing for the new shaver. But my barber notch does just fine, too. Could be I'm getting better, especially after using a shavette with half a DE blade.

I prefer them square or spike, as there's no doubt where the edge ends (sometimes demarked in red . . . . ). The French points I've used seem to shave a bit easier under my nose. I think the barber's notch looks best though.

I'll say this again:

ANY type of point can be made very tame by "easing" the very tip while honing. Putting a little chamfer on the tip (and heel), makes any style tip as mild mannered as can be.

Buy whatever style appeals to you, ad then have it honed up to your preference.

Some guys LIKE the spike tip, as they feel it gives them pinpoint accuracy while shaving. I prefer a smooth, worry free, relaxing shave, so I mute all my tips, no matter how tame or extreme.

proxy.php

Attachments

• $beech tips.jpg
    $beech tips.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 76
When I honed this one, I could not make myself blunt the tip. It just felt wimpy.
Now shaving with it is like riding a roller-coaster.
I don't know about any benefits for accuracy or anything like that, except it gets you to pay serious attention to what you are doing.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll say this again:

ANY type of point can be made very tame by "easing" the very tip while honing. Putting a little chamfer on the tip (and heel), makes any style tip as mild mannered as can be.

Buy whatever style appeals to you, ad then have it honed up to your preference.

Some guys LIKE the spike tip, as they feel it gives them pinpoint accuracy while shaving. I prefer a smooth, worry free, relaxing shave, so I mute all my tips, no matter how tame or extreme.

proxy.php
What he said

Top Bottom