What's new

A synthetic brush which is similar to Omega S-brush

When needing a quick shave, I do not have enough time to soak my boars and Omega S-brush is my go-to brush.
Of course, it does not need to be soaked.
For me, it has enough backbone and softness with very little prickliness.
I do not like its look, honestly speaking, its handle is a little cheap.
I plan to purchase another synthetic brush which could also serve me well as S-brush does.
My budget is $30.
Please give me some advices.
Thanks a lot.

Omega makes some very nice knots but some of the worst plastic handles in the industry. If you like the S-brush knot they make a S-10005 brush which has a beech wood handle. I have the boar version. When I got it 5 years ago I put two coats of poly on it. I am glad I did it has really held up well, is descent sized, and has some heft to it. It can be purchased for less than $10 plus shipping. Guess this won't work for you!

I was ready to purchase the beech wood handle S-brush when I spotted the Razorock Plissoft brush. It works well for me. Decent backbone and soft tips. Unfortunately it is out of stock for 5-6 weeks or so. The handle is acrylic and good sized. Evaluate how you hold your brush and view the photo of the brush if you decide to purchase it. Some users report that the "ridge" on the handle is a problem for them. It was not a problem for me.

Last edited:
Of all the Synthetic's I have, the S-Brush seems to be it's own breed. You either buy an S-Brush, or you buy something else. EJ and Muhle are miles above it, and the Plisson is softer and nicer but with less back bone. The Body Shop brush is perfect to keep in the console of the car, excellent for getting around the vents and knobs!

I have found that the Omega S-Brush knots are one-of-a-kind (actually two-of-a-kind as the Pro version are unique in their own right). There's isn't another out there that matches the soft tips with the extra resilient/springy bristles. The Plissoft gets close on softness but stills falls short on the backbone (even with its glue bump).

For $30, I recommend taking the "project" route. Purchase the cheapest Omega S-brush, break out the knot, and mount it into a custom handle of your choice - you might be able to squeeze in under your $30 budget.

I have found that the Omega S-Brush knots are one-of-a-kind (actually two-of-a-kind as the Pro version are unique in their own right). There's isn't another out there that matches the soft tips with the extra resilient/springy bristles. The Plissoft gets close on softness but stills falls short on the backbone (even with its glue bump).

For $30, I recommend taking the "project" route. Purchase the cheapest Omega S-brush, break out the knot, and mount it into a custom handle of your choice - you might be able to squeeze in under your $30 budget.

Mike, thank you so much.
I can't agree with you more about S-brush.
It has soft-tips and rich backbone, but without too much density.
In other words, s-brush gets a very balance in backbone, softness, and splay.
I think I should purchase another s-brush first.

Of all the Synthetic's I have, the S-Brush seems to be it's own breed. You either buy an S-Brush, or you buy something else. EJ and Muhle are miles above it, and the Plisson is softer and nicer but with less back bone. The Body Shop brush is perfect to keep in the console of the car, excellent for getting around the vents and knobs!

gent, thanks a lot.
I owned a Muhle 22mm before, bit it was traded out soon.
Muhle is too dense for me and it's stiffer than s-brush.
I mean the S-brush's hair is much much more flexible than that of muhle.
I forgot the backbone of a Muhle, but I think it does not impress me.
Under $10, s-brush is unbeatable.

Omega S10081, the S brush fiber seems to be unique, this is a nice handle. Omega is known for their knots not the handles.

I wonder if you can buy the Omega S knots without the handle. At one time The Golden Nib sold Omega boar knots without the handle. I saw a post where someone put an Omega boar knot in an acrylic Whipped Dog handle. Vast improvement over Omega's crappy handles. If you could find the S knot you could put it an any handle you wanted.

The first time I used an S-brush (I have the one with the bright red tulip-y handle) I found the uncomfortable springiness that people were complaining about.
Then it stopped, I think because I was splaying the bristles by loading up on heavy paste/proto-lather. Once splayed, it stays splayed.
Great brush.
That said I also like the Plisson knot (but not the handle) and the Fine Angel Hair C-40 lookalike.

Mine has the beech handle and was a generous PIF from a B&B friend of mine. I can recommend the quality of that handle.

Top Bottom