What's new

What is so bad about canned creams?

While I do plan on getting some quality soaps/brush I am using canned snot for the moment. Everyone seems to agree that soaps and traditional creams will give a far better shave than compressed mucus, but Id like to know why? What is it about the canned snot that reduce the quality of a shave?

I think for the most part it's the density of creams and soaps that give more protection against nicks and razor burn. You will need to judge for yourself.

For me its quite drying do to the high alcohol content in canned foam. Overall, its the experience of traditional shaving that makes it worth it.

Density, slickness, and the moisturizing properties of a good soap or cream are vastly superior to that of canned products. However I think the most important difference is that quality products encourage proper facial prep. This in turn will improve the comfort and quality of your shave tremendously.

There's nothing "wrong" with canned stuff per se. Millions of people use it every day and get very reasonable shaves.

Creams and soaps will give you a better shave for several reasons:
1) They tend to retain moisture and heat better when you use fresh, hot water and practice good lathering.
2) The lather tends to be quite a bit thicker in density. You get better protection all over your face.
3) Shave for shave, pass for pass, creams and (especially) soaps are cheaper.
4) The simple act of using a brush, even with a canned cream exfoliates, cleanses, and draws out whiskers more effectively than your hands.
5) Canned creams contain more synthetic chemicals and propellants, which many here dislike. These are in general poor substitutes for real hydration (water) anyway.

I can't speak for anyone else on the site, but there's something in the stuff from a can that makes me sick. After a little discussion in another thread, I'm pretty sure it's the propellant.

Anyway, I don't think there's anything particularly bad about the stuff in the can, it's just that the creams and soaps tend to be better. (insert YMMV clause so people don't misinterpret personal opinion as an attempt to rewrite facts)

Well for me the canned stuff just kind of sat on my face and was wiped off by the razor. I had nearly the same shave effect if I just splashed water on my face and shaved. Sometimes better if I just had warm water on my face actually. The propellant dried out my face while I was shaving, not merely a drying effect post-shave, but dried my skin as I put it on.

The way I look at it is this...had canned whipped topping? had real whipped cream you whipped yourself? I rest my case :w00t:

The canned stuff has ingredients in it that dries out the face and makes it feel tight and uncomfortable. The good traditional stuff doesn't do this and softens the hairs more due to mixing it in with a brush. The scents of the traditional creams/soaps smoke the canned stuff too. Better in everyway.

Canned goo is..............................................well.......................... canned goo sucks!! Try putting a drop of extra virgin olive oil, and a drop of REAL clove oil in your lather bowl, then whip up a nice lather with your favoritie cream or soap (I did this with AOS unscented today!!). Absolute shaving bliss!!!! You will never again want to use canned goo.

I think that for everyone here, once we shave with hot lather we don't want to go back to cold, canned, goo.

Back in the days when I shaved with gel, I would shave before my bath. Then, sometimes in the tub, I would notice a spot I missed. Lathering up with plain old bath soap, I'd grab the razor and take care of the missed patch of stubble. Even then, I noticed how well plain soap worked as opposed to the canned stuff.

Don't put canned foam and canned gel in the same basket.

Canned gels >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> canned foams

For me, some canned gels are far better than some traditiona creams/soaps

Top Bottom