What's new

What say you, good deal or did I just learn a (somewhat) expensive lesson?

Just purchased the following (pre-owned) Bill Blass 100% Camel Hair Sport Jacket online -

$ch 1.jpg$ch 2.jpg$ch 5.jpg$ch 4.jpg$ch 3.jpg

Seller has 100% feedback and the jacket cost me $55 shipped. So, how did I do? OK or did I just blow $55 on a cheap knock-off from China?

Tim

Looks nice to me. Does it fit well? As long as the feedback is honest, hopefully it's not a knockoff. I bought a used blazer a couple years ago for around $50 and it's a great jacket. Enjoy.

Actually, I don't have the jacket yet, but it should arrive middle of next week. Many of my current sport jackets were purchased from Macy's and their 42 Short jackets are an absolutely perfect fit for me. This Bill Blass jacket I have coming also is a 42S so I hope it will fit as well as my other jackets.

Tim

Legion

Staff member
There is a p!@@# off bald camel somewhere, but everyone else thinks you did fine.

Chances are, the seller found it in a thrift store, and paid $15 for it. He is giggling, and you are giggling, and some guy who paid a fortune for it, and then got fat, has a sad face.

Last edited:
Looks like a good deal to me. I have bought 2 suits and my last 4 pairs of dress shoes (2 AE, 1 Cole-Haan, 1 Alden for Brooks Brothers) on eBay and gotten killer deals on them all.

Seems like a good enough price to me! You inspired me to poke around eBay as well. I like what I see. Some good coats in the $30-50 range.

Wait a minute!

The other thread here says that sport coat popularity is declining.

You mean that there are those who don't base their sartorial decisions on what the crowd says?

Camel hair ... neato! Color is great! Never thought to look into Ebay for used clothing. Thought Ebay was for acquiring razors and watches.

Depending on the fit, probably a great deal. I know the fit of mine is slightly off but for the price it's hard to argue. Sport coats and suits in good shape seem to be great values on eBay.

This coat looks as though it came from the mid-eighties, which makes it a well crafted coat. The logo font design and the color of the logo for Bill Blass gives it away. Lord and Taylor only carried the upper end of the Blass line, so you have done well. Camel hair sport coats are always a great style, especially with blue slacks or jeans.

Always wear with a darker, patterned or, preferably, striped tie if you wear one at all.

Good get!

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This coat looks as though it came from the mid-eighties, which makes it a well crafted coat. The logo font design and the color of the logo for Bill Blass gives it away. Lord and Taylor only carried the upper end of the Blass line, so you have done well. Camel hair sport coats are always a great style, especially with blue slacks or jeans.

Always wear with a darker, patterned or, preferably, striped tie if you wear one at all.

Good get!

Good info on ID'ing the age of the jacket!

I'd say the lapels seem wide enough for the 80's ... a bit wider than you'll find on most jackets nowadays, but still within the acceptable range of "timeless style".

I'd suggest a lighter grey trousers with that. Nice.

Well, my new-to-me pre-owned 100% Camel Hair Sport Jacket arrived today. Strange thing is, what came out of the package was not a Bill Blass sport jacket, but a Joseph A. Bank sport jacket :001_huh:.

A different manufacturer notwithstanding, I am really pleased with this Jos A Bank version as the jacket looks just as nice as the one I thought I was getting, the color is a dead match for the Bill Blass jacket and this one fits me like a glove. And, Holy Cow or should I say Holy Camel,I cannot believe how soft this jacket is
:w00t:.

Consider me a camel hair devotee. I suspect this will not be the last camel hair jacket I add to my wardrobe.

Tim

Actually, I may have spoken too soon. After purchasing the Bill Blass jacket I did place a counter offer on a JoS A Bank jacket, which according to the pictures on eBay appeared to be an entirely different color than the Bill Blass jacket.

I need to dig back through my emails and see whether the Bank's jacket showed up before the Blass jacket. If both are a dead match for one another then I will send the Bank's jacket back as it does not match the color in the pictures.

Then again, if I am lucky the color of the two jackets will be different enough to warrant keeping both.

Tim

Last edited:
Yep, that's what happened. Here is the Bill Blass jacket due to arrive at my home on Monday -

$Bill Blass jacket.jpg

and here is the JoS A. Bank jacket that arrived yesterday (photograph from seller) -

$JoS A Bank jacket.jpg

Am I crazy or do these two jackets appear to be different colors? Problem is, the JoS A Bank jacket (in person) is a dead-on color match for the Bill Blass jacket (at least according to its seller's picture).

Oh well, I guess this is one of the perils of purchasing online without seeing in hand what it is you are buying prior to purchase. Anyway, one certainly cannot complain about the cost - it's still a heck of a lot less than if I had purchased either from a high end men's clothing store.

Tim

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They look like hte same colour, just different lighting & photo quality.

They look like hte same colour, just different lighting & photo quality.

I agree that lighting and photography skills is probably to blame for the two jackets looking different in color. If the seller is unwilling to accept a return them I may put one of the jackets up for sale or trade here on the B&B. Hopefully, 42S is not too weird a size and there is a fellow badger out there that might like a nice 100% Camel Hair Blazer/Sport Jacket.

Tim

strop

Now half as wise
Just keep the one that fits the best. While the Blass may have originally been a bit better quality, fit is everything here.

Top Bottom