What's new

Whipped dog brush love!

I also ordered one mainly because of this thread, 24mm, black handle. Larry is great to deal with.
According to tracking my brush is now somewhere in Texas and it has to come all the way to the Netherlands.
I hope it slips through customs, if not I have to pay more that half the price the brush cost me for import.

I used my WD 24mm brush tonight for bowl-lathering. I used the "Marco Method" to make my lather. Man did it whip up some great lather. This brush is all you need. Whether you face-lather or bowl-lather this brush will take good care of you. Great brush.

I also ordered one mainly because of this thread, 24mm, black handle. Larry is great to deal with.
According to tracking my brush is now somewhere in Texas and it has to come all the way to the Netherlands.
I hope it slips through customs, if not I have to pay more that half the price the brush cost me for import.

If it makes you feel a little better I still would have been happy had I paid a lot more for my brush.

The WD synthetics are like Larry's other offerings. High quality, good performers, and great value for the money.

If it makes you feel a little better I still would have been happy had I paid a lot more for my brush.
It's not that I would be unhappy with it if I have to pay customs even though it would add up to more than a Muhle would cost, I just hope it slips through.
My only experience with a synthetic is with the Omega hi-brush and that one works perfectly but took some getting used to because it's very springy but once you load up on the puck till the lather starts getting thick that's not an issue anymore. Since the WD brush is considered one of the best here I'm wondering if that is so with all synthetic brushes.
The omega handle is hollow and very flimsy and mine cracked so I pulled the knot with the plug (was press fitted in there and since it cracked nothing was holding it) and filled it with epoxy, put the knot back in (had to hold it until the glue hardened since the epoxy kept the air trapped and pressing the knot out) so now it's perfect again. Can't wait to see how the WD brush compares to this.

Spent a couple of days debating whether to get the Stirling synth or the WD, and I made the decision to go with WD. 24mm. Black.

Spent a couple of days debating whether to get the Stirling synth or the WD, and I made the decision to go with WD. 24mm. Black.

You won't be sorry, it's a great brush.
$WD_La Toja.jpg

I lathered with this brush for the first time yesterday - a great brush. I was surprised at the amount of water it could hold.

I'm struggling to decide between 20 or 22mm for my WD Synthetic to-be.

All things equal, I'd go for 20mm--smaller for travel and general "agility" of small brushes. But does the larger WD have performance advantages that I'm not appreciating?

I may want to add a WD HM to the collection too. So same question.

I'm struggling to decide between 20 or 22mm for my WD Synthetic to-be.

All things equal, I'd go for 20mm--smaller for travel and general "agility" of small brushes. But does the larger WD have performance advantages that I'm not appreciating?
I may want to add a WD HM to the collection too. So same question.

I would say it's mostly a matter of preference. The WD 24mm is very popular and I find mine to be just right but if you prefer a 20mm you will probably be very happy with it as well.

Yeah, this thread claimed another victim. I ordered one too.

I'm justifying it with "I've never tried a synthetic" and "I'll only have three brushes, one boar, one badger, one synth ..." I really want to be a minimalist, I do, really.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Regarding the Stirling, its a wonderful brush if you like a larger knot. I have 3 WD's, including the 24 and 30 mm synths in the standard lofts. I find the 24 mm a wee bit too small, and the 30 mm a wee bit too large. The Stirling is the perfect size for me which is right between the two WD's. And the Stirling handle is big and solid and amazing! However, the Stirling knot is nowhere near as nice as the WD knot. The WD is far more luxurious and well behaved. The WD has a far better face feel and makes a better lather. Between the 24 mm and the 30 mm WD's, the 30 mm is the choice for me most of the time. It is big and lush and wonderful! But you need to love a big brush, which I do! It is the best synthetic I have tried thus far. The Stirling is the closest to the WD, but its not quite there. I have a bunch of synthetic brushes, and these days I have only been using the WD's and the Stirling. You cant go wrong with any of the WD's nor the Stirling. They are all fantastic and affordable. And yes, my Duke 3 gets very little action these days.

L to R: WD 24 mm, Stirling 26 mm, WD 30 mm

$2015-10-05 09.00.56.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo of your brushes, I had been considering picking up a Stirling synthetic to compare with my WD 24mm synthetic for precisely the sizing reason you addressed. Once they're back in stock, I'm going to have to get me one!

Regarding the Stirling, its a wonderful brush if you like a larger knot. I have 3 WD's, including the 24 and 30 mm synths in the standard lofts. I find the 24 mm a wee bit too small, and the 30 mm a wee bit too large. The Stirling is the perfect size for me which is right between the two WD's. And the Stirling handle is big and solid and amazing! However, the Stirling knot is nowhere near as nice as the WD knot. The WD is far more luxurious and well behaved. The WD has a far better face feel and makes a better lather. Between the 24 mm and the 30 mm WD's, the 30 mm is the choice for me most of the time. It is big and lush and wonderful! But you need to love a big brush, which I do! It is the best synthetic I have tried thus far. The Stirling is the closest to the WD, but its not quite there. I have a bunch of synthetic brushes, and these days I have only been using the WD's and the Stirling. You cant go wrong with any of the WD's nor the Stirling. They are all fantastic and affordable. And yes, my Duke 3 gets very little action these days.

L to R: WD 24 mm, Stirling 26 mm, WD 30 mm

View attachment 605249

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Thanks for posting the photo of your brushes, I had been considering picking up a Stirling synthetic to compare with my WD 24mm synthetic for precisely the sizing reason you addressed. Once they're back in stock, I'm going to have to get me one!

If you notice, mine is a little crooked. I missed the initial run, and happened to be placing a soap order with Stirling on the day he released a few crooked brushes. I saved a couple of dollars. But my choice was to either get a crooked one, or not get one for a while. So I took the crooked one. There is absolutely zero effect on its performance. I noticed this photo looks much worse than it looks in person. It really does look crooked here. More so than in reality. But it is a wonderful brush. I have been using the Stirling all week to give it a good eval in preparation for my Razorock Plissoft to arrive in the next day or two.

If you notice, mine is a little crooked. I missed the initial run, and happened to be placing a soap order with Stirling on the day he released a few crooked brushes. I saved a couple of dollars. But my choice was to either get a crooked one, or not get one for a while. So I took the crooked one. There is absolutely zero effect on its performance. I noticed this photo looks much worse than it looks in person. It really does look crooked here. More so than in reality. But it is a wonderful brush. I have been using the Stirling all week to give it a good eval in preparation for my Razorock Plissoft to arrive in the next day or two.

I actually missed that it was crooked, but really, if it doesn't affect your shaving experience, I'm glad to hear you got to save a few dollars!

Please report in on the Razorock Plissoft, they had already sold out by the time I discovered them on the forum, but from what I hear, they went quickly!

Top Bottom