What's new

Dutch Oven Recommendation

We are looking to replace some old (and relatively cheap) cookware.

I read that the Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven is one of the best;

What would you recommend?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Lodge are good. Le Creuset really are better, but I don't know that the price difference is worth it. Sometimes, you can get a pretty nice deal on used Le Creuset dutch ovens that are in fine shape.

I assume you are are looking only for enameled.

I have Le Creuset, but we bought it from an outlet during a big sale. They are awesome it is guaranteed for life. I bought 1 at a garage sale and the enamel was worn off on the inside, they replaced it free. I have regular cast iron pieces (not enameled) from Lodge it is great stuff too, I am pretty sure I either choice is good.

Is there any advantage to enameled vs. non? I have a cast iron skillet that I love (but my wife avoids because i will not let her put it in the dishwasher). I know we cannot put an enameled one in there either - :)

you can't do anything acidic in a non enamled. So no tomato sauces or possibly certain braises that use wine. I use my enamled one on the stove top a lot to do soups etc in.

really, both have their uses. My only real experience with non enameled ones are cooking dump cakes or chicken bog over coals on Boy Scout campouts.

For long braises, often done in a dutch oven, raw cast iron doesn't play well with acidic ingredients like tomatoes. This is where the enameling helps.

Edit: I was a day late and a dollar short, as always!

A pro did a side-by-side comparison of Staub vs. Le Creuset,and I went with the Staub.Fit and finish,handle design,under lid dimpling and more made it an easy choice. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/staub...b dutch oven&gclid=CK3_j8XRnMgCFQdufgod4pQLvg

We have Le cruiset that we have used for almost 40 years. Very good cookware. We also like a Lodge (not coated) Dutch oven that works well. Recently looked at Staub when looking at other items at Sur La Table here in Seattle. I must agree that Staud is well designed and high quality. All good options IMO, depending on your budget and taste.

you can't do anything acidic in a non enamled. So no tomato sauces or possibly certain braises that use wine. I use my enamled one on the stove top a lot to do soups etc in.

really, both have their uses. My only real experience with non enameled ones are cooking dump cakes or chicken bog over coals on Boy Scout campouts.

Agree that acidic foods do not work well in uncoated cast iron.

We get terrific results braising or baking meats and some seafoods (especially muscles) in our well seasoned old cast iron. The main thing with uncounted casy iron is to avoid harsh detergents. There is an excellent discussion in Joy of Cooking.

Last edited:
The Lodge enameled dutch oven is made in China, if your concerned about that. I got a Le Cruset for my wife and we both love it. I was looking at Staub, but she said she wanted the Le Cruset.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Agree that acidic foods do not work well in uncoated cast iron.

We get terrific results braising or baking meats and some seafoods (especially muscles) in our well seasoned old cast iron. The main thing with uncounted casy iron is to avoid harsh detergents. There is an excellent discussion in Joy of Cooking.

Would it be fair to say that a well-seasoned cast iron would do fine with tomatoes &c? Mine is well seasoned, and I've never had a problem with acidic foods (although I haven't done long, slow cooking with acidic in it.)

I did chili with a lot of tomato sauce in my bare cast iron Dutch oven. Just start by giving the inside a LIBERAL coat of shortening (I.e. thick enough to see it.) Never had an issue once I started doing that.

Legion

Staff member
To be honest, I've been using the Aldi (Crofton) enamelled cast iron for a couple of years, and have yet to have one go wrong. At about 10% the price of the Le Creuset equivalent.... I managed to get one other dutch oven (not pictured) second hand, same brand. Still works just fine.

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a Chasseur and it works really well, around the same price-range than LeCreuset. Staub is another brand that I would consider. I bought the big pot right away, a 7qt or something like that. I use it a few times a week. It's perfect for soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, you name it. I even roast chicken in there.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Would it be fair to say that a well-seasoned cast iron would do fine with tomatoes &c? Mine is well seasoned, and I've never had a problem with acidic foods (although I haven't done long, slow cooking with acidic in it.)

I'd say once in a while is ok and don't let the food sit in the cast iron. Quick cleanup.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence

I was watching America's Test Kitchen yesterday. They remarked that if you keep acidic food to less than 20 minutes of cooking, you wont really develop metallic tastes. Anything more than that and your potential for the off putting taste increases.

I would recommend Staub or Le Creuset.

Top Bottom