What's new

Lunar Eclipse

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
ok, here is best i could do with the haze we have down here.
progression, from about 35%, to 90%, to approx 98%.
it's still dark now, actually, but the haze was getting thicker, the light dimmer and the bugs more annoying, so I came in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Those are great! Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

We had a cloudless sky, and a great view. Only had to get out in the very early morning, but it was worth it.

I watched with my 18 years old daughter, who had never seen a lunar eclipse before.

I went out at moonrise, but being on Pacific Time the eclipse was pretty much at its peak when there was still a lot of light in the sky and being low, lots of pollution. In short it was tough. This is my best attempt.

SuperBloodMoon01

I like looking at all these shots. I love these types of events because it gets a lot folks working their cameras :001_smile

Rain stopped for a few minutes, but the best I could do is a hand held through the clouds!

It may have been cloudy, but you got one heck of a nice cloud formation and that shot turned out great!

I went out at moonrise, but being on Pacific Time the eclipse was pretty much at its peak when there was still a lot of light in the sky and being low, lots of pollution. In short it was tough. This is my best attempt.

SuperBloodMoon01

You picked up the details in the lighter areas... it's subtle and dark, but having surface details is awesome - and not easy.

Last edited:
Over in my neck of the woods, the clouds rolled in shortly after the umbra began rolling across the moon. I did have a five minute break in the clouds about 10 minutes after the moon passed the central shadow, so I was able to snap some shots. Besides the clouds, I encountered a few technical hiccups.

I love eclipses, but a full moon means flat light. The waxing and waning moon, even right before and after the full moon, makes for much more dramatic lighting and detailed shots. If the eclipse was your first attempt at the moon, give it a try again in a day or two.

Anyways, I wanted to do a series, but clouds left me with pretty much only two views.

proxy.php

this is from last year's eclipse, April 2014.
D4, 600mm + 2X, f/8, ISO 6400, 1/4 sec, tripod.
cropped from about 1/4 of the frame.
it's virtually impossible to get a truly sharp image during totality without a motorized tracker.

proxy.php
This is a great shot.
ok, here is best i could do with the haze we have down here.
progression, from about 35%, to 90%, to approx 98%.
it's still dark now, actually, but the haze was getting thicker, the light dimmer and the bugs more annoying, so I came in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
To my eyes these are even better. Nice nice work.

Top Bottom