What's new

Rusty case!!

It looks like i caught this one just in time before the rust took over! I've been keeping my Le Grelot in its original case, and somehow rust started to appear all over the area exposed within the paper case!

Anyone else ever had this problem?? $uploadfromtaptalk1443284609995.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1443284616154.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1443284622995.jpg

Yeah that is the first thing I thought.
I'm not sure if the scales are celluloid/acrylic or some other sort of rubber, but either way normally the rot shows on the blade inside the scales, not outside. Right now it was rusted everywhere except where the blade was tucked inside the scales.
Kinda sucks that I have to re-polish it, but luckily its not rusted too deeply.

Yeah..crazy thing is I used it maybe 4-6 weeks ago and it wasn't like that. I guess you can be never too careful!

Legion

Staff member
Yeah that is the first thing I thought.
I'm not sure if the scales are celluloid/acrylic or some other sort of rubber, but either way normally the rot shows on the blade inside the scales, not outside. Right now it was rusted everywhere except where the blade was tucked inside the scales.
Kinda sucks that I have to re-polish it, but luckily its not rusted too deeply.

i think you are right, rot is usually on the inside. It could be where you held the blade to close it, the acids from your skin have attacked the steel. This is why they use cotton gloves in museums.

i think you are right, rot is usually on the inside. It could be where you held the blade to close it, the acids from your skin have attacked the steel. This is why they use cotton gloves in museums.

Nah the pattern on of the rust on the blade is too well placed to be due to acid on my hands, especially since none of my other straights have it. I'll go with the evil paper case theory. I will definitely stay away from them in the future. Maybe its just bad luck and that one had a lot of moisture in there, but either way its not worth taking a chance.

Top Bottom