What's new

Aqua Velva's Scent?

What does Aqua Velva smell like. I think it smells great, but I can't put my finger on what it smells like. Does any one know what different scents it is composed of? Thanks

I don't know, and I don't question it. I don't care what anyone says--"old man" or not--Aqua Velva smells awesome!

Only aftershave I keep in a hip flask. Nope, don't know how to describe the scent. I still can't see how people say it's "old man," though. I love it.

I dropped a mate to Sydney airport last week on his way over to the US. He asked me if there was anything he could get me while in the States. Having read a thread about AV just the night before I said "Yeah you can pick me up some AV after shave". I am kinda kicking myself because I could have asked for anything (considering we get limited gear here in OZ) but the only thing I could think of was AV. :w00t: I hope it is as good as everyone says although from what I have read here on B&B it is available everywhere and kind of inexpensive.

Give me a couple weeks and maybe then I can then let you know what it smells like to me.

Cheers,

Adam

This is what basenotes has to say.

I noticed that it smells entirely different once I put it on my skin. In the bottle, almost all I could smell is the menthol with a hint of a woody scent, maybe cedar... but once I put it on, wow, it's like I was flooded with some sort of citrusy, "green" smell. Looking at the basenotes description, I can see where all those scents come into play, so I'd say it's probably about right. :biggrin:

AV is tricky, everyone seems to think it is a very temporary scent, but it lasts ages on me and is very overpowering at first, even with a very modest application.
My general AV usage is a splash before I do a cold water rinse, partly to rinse off the AV smell.
I like it, but sparingly.

Needless to say, the other day I was in Wal-Mart and I saw a dude with plaid checked pants, a varsity style athletic jacket looking very strained at the buttons, and grey pompadour/ducktail/mutton chops and he REEKED of AV, this is when my girlfriend reminded me that there's a reason I should be careful with the AV usage.

Yep, there is a reason AV has been around FOREVER. It is a great product.

I agree with others, it smells different in the bottle than it does after applied to the face. I really notice a powdery finish to AV.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Aqua Velva formula has been changed? I've just started using aftershaves again and bought my first bottle of AV in the last 30 years. It's not quite the same as I remember it in either strength or scent. Of course, my senses may not be as keen as they used to be. Anyone know?

-Clarke :velva2:

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Aqua Velva formula has been changed? I've just started using aftershaves again and bought my first bottle of AV in the last 30 years. It's not quite the same as I remember it in either strength or scent. Of course, my senses may not be as keen as they used to be. Anyone know?
I find it the same as always............I'm 51 and have used it in and off for probably 35 years.I know the scent changed back in the 50's when they went from the WW2 era scent to the "ice blue" of today.

I find it the same as always............I'm 51 and have used it in and off for probably 35 years.I know the scent changed back in the 50's when they went from the WW2 era scent to the "ice blue" of today.

That's interesting! What was the older scent like? Was it the green version or still blue?

+1 on Aqua Velva's single note being menthol awesomesauce.

Thanks! I hadn't bought any since the 60s. I got a little careless shaving my mustache area yesterday. AV soothed it just like it did when I was a teenager.

Hmmm, I wonder when we are going to start referring to AV as MA (menthol awesomesauce) :biggrin:

Well, technically, MA is only the main active ingredient. Everyone knows that AV gets it's blue colour from the souls of a thousand dogless Mississippi Delta singers... that or from the souls of all those kittens that die every year as a result of the internet.
:wink:

Top Bottom