What's new

Hats

Akubra Taupe Fawn Camp Draft ...

$FullSizeRender-9.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
This is when you need one of the Brent Black darker colored straws to transition from summer to winter!:thumbup:

A couple of other Gannon Customs ...

$icm_fullxfull.94991235_qundka859qss0c4okgc4.jpg$icm_fullxfull.95156253_izbgxah0cpsk4ws4swks.jpg

100% Beaver Pecan and Silverbelly - I call the Pecan The Gannon Tres Hombres La Grange , and The Silverbelly The Gannon Going To Mexico La Grange version .

Last edited:
A hat, usually a fedora, has been a part of my daily wear for over 30 years. I have a few vintage, some new and a few customs.
The hat that sees the most noggin time is my Akubra Campdraft but my favorites are my Northwestern Hats customs. MIke does a fantastic job at a great price.

Here's my most recent:
$3.jpg

And the one before that:

$My Sharkgilled Navy Northwest.jpg
I've got to get pics of the others.

Wouldn't you know that my first post on a shaving forum would be about hats! :D

Welcome to B&B DesertDan ! Nice Hats ! Yeah , Mike at Northwest Hats in Eugene OR does an incredible job , not only making Custom Hats , but he refurbishes old Hats and reworking some to something a guy likes more really well , too . Nice Shark Grill ! Is that first picture an Outback or Seeing Double ? There are a lot of great Hatters up in the Northwest , Mike at Northwest Hats , BlackSheepHatWorks (Great!) , Vintage Silhouettes by Art Fawcett , Michael at Gannon Hat Company in Portland , and several more . But Tim at Ally Kat Hats is Great , too , he's around Harrisburg PA I think (Check his Instagram) . Michael Gannon just ordered some Hat Bodies yesterday morning including a couple he hasn't tried in Beaver , yet , Sahara , and Camel . I have been asking about a Sahara , but I'd like to see those two side by side , Sahara is the Tan shade just under Natural , then there's Sand (no gray tint) , SilverBelly (gray tint) , then Bone . Those are the Tan shades . I think I have a Felt Color Swatch Picture ...

$colour_175039.jpg

Welcome Aboard again DesertDan !

A hat, usually a fedora, has been a part of my daily wear for over 30 years. I have a few vintage, some new and a few customs.
The hat that sees the most noggin time is my Akubra Campdraft but my favorites are my Northwestern Hats customs. MIke does a fantastic job at a great price.

Here's my most recent:
View attachment 690724

And the one before that:

View attachment 690725
I've got to get pics of the others.

Wouldn't you know that my first post on a shaving forum would be about hats! :D

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
I was ready to get a hat from Northwest a couple of years ago. I tried emailing him two three times, but only got one response and then no follow up to my questions, so I finally gave up. Maybe I should try again.

I was ready to get a hat from Northwest a couple of years ago. I tried emailing him two three times, but only got one response and then no follow up to my questions, so I finally gave up. Maybe I should try again.

Mark , don't forget www.buckaroohatters.com in Covington TN , north of Memphis . Mike Moore can make a great Hat , whatever you're looking for . He made all the Hats for the Movie about Hank Williams - I Saw The Light .

$saw-the-light-poster-stills-03.jpg$i-saw-the-light_nws5.jpg$i-saw-the-light-movie-still-3.jpg

I grew up in ball caps,they kept the sun out of your eyes while hauling hay and working fence,worn them most of my days.I now have a sombrero for working in the yard and fedora type mesh hat from bass pro for fishing.

From Hamlet - Act II Scene i
Ophelia: O, my lord, my lord, I have been so affrighted!
Lord Polonius: With what, i' the name of God?
Ophelia: My lord, as I was sewing in my closet,
Lord Hamlet, with his doublet all unbraced;
No hat upon his head; his stockings foul'd,
Ungarter'd, and down-gyved to his ankle;
Pale as his shirt; his knees knocking each other;
And with a look so piteous in purport
As if he had been loosed out of hell
To speak of horrors—he comes before me.

Always wearing a hat.

Never a ball cap. The only time I wore ball caps was up North when I wore a parka with fur around the hood. The bill keeps the fur (and sun) out of your eyes.

As part of my SCA activities I decided I needed a hat like this one:
$urbino_right.jpg a "ducal mortier" from 1465-66.

So I made one, and this is how it turned out:
$profile2151_mid.jpg

Normally though, I favour a white panama, or a bucket hat for yard work or windy days.

This summer, I wore one like this (but with a brown leather band) most of the time:
$dorfman-pacific-headwear-mesh-crown-hat-upf-50-for-men-and-women.jpg
I like the medium-wide brim and the mesh crown. It's by Wind River and inexpensive.

In the winter my favourite is a Tilley TW2 Classic Winter wool hat.
$TW2_Charcoal.jpg
It has a wide flap hidden inside for the ears and back of the head, plus a separate forehead flap.

For shoveling the driveway or snowshoeing, it's a black Jeep Cap.
$skip-cap-lge.jpg
I need the bill in front to keep falling snow off my glasses.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I checked out Hills Hats new shop front, today.
The wife wanted a straw hat for wearing while gardening.
I was thinking of getting a hat today but my eyes are bigger than my wallet. There is a new pair of boots on the radar that are made to order. I will be back for to get another hat from here soon.
I tried on a few hats and the wife like the pork pie on me. I'm not sure myself but we are going into summer so plenty of time to think about it. They make that one to order.

Tweeds, flat caps etc

$20161007_111120.jpg

$20161007_111306.jpg

$20161007_111113.jpg

That's quite the store Chris, i know of nothing similar in this little corner of the world however if you want a baseball cap, you're in luck.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That's quite the store Chris, i know of nothing similar in this little corner of the world however if you want a baseball cap, you're in luck.

dave

I only recently found out that their factory was in Petone. I pass it every day on my way to work.
They have been making hats in Wellington since 1875.
So far I have bought two hats for myself from there and will be back soon for a summer hat. There is something about being able to put a hat on and see what it looks like and feels like on you.

My wife liked one of the felt hats but when told the price she left it there. I may get her one as a Christmas present. As it will be made to order I won't be able to keep it quite but maybe the gift can be taking her to be measured, pick the colour, and place the order as it's a three week lead time to make.

I've never been a big fan of hats, but I do have a ushanka/"bomber hat" that I wear in winter. You know, the square-y russian hats with the fur and ear flaps? One of those, but it's not real fur.