What's new

Any soaps you won't buy again?

I've found that tallow products give me the most comfortable shave, so I steer clear of those without.

I think it is a wives tale that we have allowed ourselves to follow. I've had good and bad shaves from tallow based soaps. On the flip side, I've had good and bad shaves with 'vegan' soaps. Tallow alone does not a great shaving soap make.

Cella, but only for one reason it lit my face on fire. I'm pretty sure it was the almond oil. Wanted to love it very much, loved the scent, loved the lather, and loved the glide. The first time I used it I thought razor burn on the neck, second time I could feel the burn spread up my face to my cheeks instantaneously. Wanted so much to have a kilo of the stuff, but alas it was not to be. :sad:

Did you PIF what was left?

I haven't tried a whole lot of soaps yet. But for me the Pacific Shave Co Caffeinated isn't up to par. Really seems to dry my skin out on the post shave.

Wow, a lot of my faves in these posts. I've tried many, many soaps, and I tend to be somewhat forgiving of some flaws or finickiness if I find some redeeming qualities (e.g. I would not hate on VDH, Col. Conk, or current Williams, because for their price, I can get them to work pretty well and find something to like about each one), so it takes in my mind a pretty poor product to get on my do not buy again list. So here is that hall of shame:

Artifact Soap Works
Caswell Massey
Cyril Salter "Lavender" - Lather is okay, but smells like an industrial disinfectant
Green Mountain
Herban Cowboy
Joshua Tree Soap Works - Contender for worst ever. Makes Herban Cowboy seem like Vintage Yardley by comparison
Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - nearly as bad as the JTSW
L'Occitane Cade - Yes, I said it.
Maggard
Mount Blossom - another in the almost JTSW bad territory
Ogallala
Organic Dudes
Parker
Saint Charles Shave Stick - Pucks are very good, but the stick formula is too soft and does not lather well.
Shanty Soap Company
Truefitt and Hill - surprising disappointment since I like their creams and scents.
Williams - you know, it's such a PITA to to get consistent lather out of I decided to put it on the list after all.

There are many more creams I would list. I just don't get along as well with creams.

Last edited:
L'Occitane Cade - Yes, I said it.

I agree on this. I loved the smell of it sitting on the shelf, but after finally testing it out for the last week I was disappointed in the performance; during the shave and post shave feel. I'll finish the puck, but it won't be getting replaced.

A good number of good people said that the Erasmic stick in the red box tallow version sucks and I whole heartily concur.

Tabac.

If they made an unscented version--or one that smells like just about anything else--I'd snatch it up. Can't argue with the performance. But that smell....

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Wow, a lot of my faves in these posts. I've tried many, many soaps, and I tend to be somewhat forgiving of some flaws or finickiness if I find some redeeming qualities (e.g. I would not hate on VDH, Col. Conk, or current Williams, because for their price, I can get them to work pretty well and find something to like about each one)

:thumbup1: Well said!

Cella. It's alright, but artisanal soaps are the way to go in my opinion. Mike's and CRSW have dominated any mass-produced soap I have tried.

An easier answer would be which soap I WILL buy again. I am an Arko fan. As I use or give away Arko, I buy more. Camelot is similar to Arko and I may buy that as well when it is depleted. Derby, Master, and Tweex I may get around to trying sometime.

$Mountain Sky Soap.jpg

Col Conk Bay Rum and Lime... ordered them when I was first getting into the 'hobby'. Mediocre scent and performance, so no reason to ever go back to them.

Much as I love the other soaps they make, Italian Barber's Millionaro just isn't for me. Hubby gets reddened and irritated skin fairly quickly with it, and myself I just guess I'm not that much of a fan of the barbershop scent. Lathers and protects nicely though!

Top Bottom