What's new

On line find!

Hi folks! Here is a neat little silver shaving cup and brush I found online a few days ago, and could not resist! I just received it today, and thought I'd share it with the group. It is actually in much better shape than I thought. I'm thinking I'll re-knot the brush, even if I never use it, thought it is very usable now. What do y'all think?
(Not sure why it is turning the pics upside down and sideways) :blush:
Stan

$IMG_0452.JPG$IMG_0454.JPG$IMG_0455.JPG

Having it upside down just makes you have damn good lather built up or else it ends on the floor. Sort of like a Dairy Queen Blizzard.

Any idea on the age of the items? They are very classy looking.

Very nice. I like the idea of the shave bowl fitting inside the mug. Very tidy. Soap up the brush and transfer to the bowl to get your lather. Nice.

Greg W.

Hi, Very nice indeed! I'd suspect-guess English manufacture? Am I correct?

PS: Looking again, I notice that the Mug-Cup is actually 2 pieces! Very cool!
Would anyone with more brains than I have perhaps tell me why?

Is it that the Mug could be filled with hot water, then keep the shave cream hotter in the cup? Or?

Last edited:

Is it that the Mug could be filled with hot water, then keep the shave cream hotter in the cup? Or?
That seems about right.

Hi, Very nice indeed! I'd suspect-guess English manufacture? Am I correct?

Thanks MarkD - From what I've been able to gather, the hallmark indicates it was made by Watrous Mfg. Co, who were a Connecticut company, and who started manufacturing silver articles (as opposed to silver plate) around 1920. I'm guessing this set dates to the 20's.

Looks like a big scuttle.

Great find. More than worth it to re-knot.

It is actually quite small, smaller than a standard cafe' style coffee cup. I did actually remove the knot from the brush tonight, and the opening measures 17mm, so pretty small. I ordered a 16mm knot, which I think (hope) will work fine.
I appreciate all the comments. I'm very happy with it!

Top Bottom