What's new

Proper DE Angle for a Close Shave

Gents,
Finally getting around to purchasing a DE Razor (Muhle R89). I loaded it up with a Feather Hi-Stainless blade went with the following combo:

• Truefitt #10 Preshave Oil
  • Barrister & Mann Beaudelaire
  • TaS Unscented Aftershave lotion
  • GFT Lavender Water
I went WTG then XTG, using short strokes. The good news is - zero nicks. Expected news - not a very close shave. Im assuming this is due to my n00b technique of having too high of an angle on the razor. While I was certain the blade was cutting, it certainly wasn't a close shave. I actually followed up with an additional XTG pass using my Fusion to finish the shave.
Oddly enough, no irritation, etc - but clearly I need to get better with reducing the angle of the razor to my skin. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Hello and welcome, Steve.

30 degrees is a good angle, although this will vary somewhat based on razor type.

Place razor cap on your face. Then slowly lower your arm until you feel blade engage whiskers. Then do your stroke. That is the angle you want.

Too shallow and there is little or no blade touching beard. Too steep and you are scraping instead of shaving.

Good luck.

The best angle is one where the razor allows most consistent cutting angle that feels the smoothest so this will vary slightly by the razor.

I do the opposite of BSA I start with very steep then make it less steeper until it's smooth cutting without scraping. I know it seems counter intuitive to start with a dangerously steep angle instead of a safe shallow one but I think it reminds you not to use pressure when you get the right angle and it will also give you the most efficient angle.

If it's too steep obviously you're scraping your skin and it will be uncomfortable but if it is too shallow you are more likely to nick yourself. The correct middle ground will be very efficient cutter but also should feel comfortable on the skin.

30 degrees is a good angle, although this will vary somewhat based on razor type.

Place razor cap on your face. Then slowly lower your arm until you feel blade engage whiskers. Then do your stroke. That is the angle you want.

Too shallow and there is little or no blade touching beard. Too steep and you are scraping instead of shaving.

Good luck.

That's pretty much what I do (still a Noob here but I am learning).

When I find the proper angle, I can kinda sorta feel the blade bite into the whiskers and depending on the area, I can sort of hear it.

I use the Muhle R89 and absolutely love the razor. Once you dial in the angle it will be second nature. The razor is very forgiving. I have yet to need my styptic pencil and I've used the razor going on 4 months now. You are already using a sharp quality blade, so once you dial in the angle, you'll get great quality shaves.
Good luck. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

One quick note... I hold the razor near the base of the handle, start with the safety bar against my skin and let the angle develop (until I hear/feel it cutting hair), then slightly tighten my grip, the razor winds up at the right angle. Three fingers, thumb, index and middle finger. If you throw darts, that is how I hold the razor.

Last edited:

Good luck.

^ This ^ ... plus practice. :001_smile

Welcome to B&B!

OK gents - I decided to forgo my shave yesterday in order to have a consistent growth to compare to. Thanks to your guidance today's shave was much improved! I used the same process as last time, WTG and XTG with great results.
The one thing Im also noticing is that at the end of the day my stubble is more...stubby than sharp. At times with my old razor my stubble would be sharp or prickly. Guess its just my hair being cut off clean and straight ? Or maybe its mental :D

Thanks again,
Steve

Good luck.

It is SO much what he said^^^. Some razors have a more "intuitive" sweet spot than others, but what he said ^^^. Another almost foolish but absolutely true piece of advice is to shave the lather off of your face. Do these two, and you will have a close, comfortable shave.

Just for fun, after your preshave oil, do a full lather on your face with the shave soap, let it sit for a minute, rinse, but not totally. Then lather again for your shave. Be generous with shave soap...it's relatively cheap yet very lubricating!

Proper angle is the one that works for you. For me it's a very steep angle (handle close to the face). I find it to be the most efficient. Try all the angles. Worst case, you learn what works for you. Best case, you learn what works for you.

Just for fun, after your preshave oil, do a full lather on your face with the shave soap, let it sit for a minute, rinse, but not totally. Then lather again for your shave. Be generous with shave soap...it's relatively cheap yet very lubricating!

Thanks - I've actually done this in the past when my beard is grown out more than usual.

Top Bottom