What's new

THE Cartridge Razor Thread

Quite frankly, DE and Injector razors have a romantic appeal to me. I have warm remembrances of being a kid and watching my dad shave with one or the other. I have spent a small fortune buying various DE's and injectors to find one I can shave with. I think they look great and I wish I could find the perfect one.

I must have super- sensitive, skin. I can't get a comfortable shave out of any for more than two days in a row. I have tried various: brushes, pre-shaves, soaps, and creams. No luck! A fusion or mach 3 works better for ME. The light, weight of the factory, handles might very well have something to do with it.

By chance have you tried something like the Merkur 23c? The razor has a longer handle, and the weight is only a small amount more than a cart razor like the Schick Hydro. It's my daily razor, and I too went through several trying to find an agreeable one. For injectors, I have one of the most modern "L" type. I've read they got progressively milder the newer they were, so I went with the newest model I could get my hands on.

Speaking of the Schick Hydro, I just recently managed to win an auction with 23 Hydro 5 disposables for all of $10. The heads can easily be moved to a regular handle. This is why the costs are overblown. Sure, if you walk into your local market and pay retail, it can get pricey. But just like those scoring bargains on vintage DE razors, carts can be had at good prices too if you're willing to stay on the lookout for good deals.

Nope, no pivot lock. I don't know that any gillette model has ever offered a similar feature.

This is why I stick with the Trac II. I have scoured the bay and Etsy, but can't find an upscale handle. I did speak with a couple of vendors on Etsy who said that the components for the Trac handle were discontinued a few years ago. I would like to be able to use something other than a cheap plastic handle. I know that Merkur makes a metal one but it seems a bit chintzy.

I envy you Mach and Fusion users......

This is why I stick with the Trac II. I have scoured the bay and Etsy, but can't find an upscale handle. I did speak with a couple of vendors on Etsy who said that the components for the Trac handle were discontinued a few years ago. I would like to be able to use something other than a cheap plastic handle. I know that Merkur makes a metal one but it seems a bit chintzy.

Well, there's always the Schick Super II, which is Trac compatible. Something like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schick-Supe...lver-Cartridge-Razor-W-4-Blades-/251722438862

I don't know that it's any fancier than the Merkur, because I've never seen the Merkur. But at least it is all metal if you are trying to get away from the plastic handles.

I find fancy vintage Trac II handles on the bay quite often. Not sure if those are what you wanted.

By chance have you tried something like the Merkur 23c? The razor has a longer handle, and the weight is only a small amount more than a cart razor like the Schick Hydro. It's my daily razor, and I too went through several trying to find an agreeable one. For injectors, I have one of the most modern "L" type. I've read they got progressively milder the newer they were, so I went with the newest model I could get my hands on.

Speaking of the Schick Hydro, I just recently managed to win an auction with 23 Hydro 5 disposables for all of $10. The heads can easily be moved to a regular handle. This is why the costs are overblown. Sure, if you walk into your local market and pay retail, it can get pricey. But just like those scoring bargains on vintage DE razors, carts can be had at good prices too if you're willing to stay on the lookout for good deals.

Thanks. I have not tried the 23c yet. I do have their 1904 which is a close cousin. It probably gives my most comfortable DE shaves. The 23c is, I think, even lighter still, and would be my next try if this present experiment doesn't fit the bill.

Instead of the 23c, I would try the Gillette Super Adjustable Razor(Black Beauty) . The 23C is very mild, made of Zamak, and has sharp corners. I used one for a while, gave it to the wife, and she didn't like the corners.

Personna sells one, as do Col. Conk and Wilkinson Sword. They are all available on Amazon. I have ordered the Personna handle as a possible travel razor. I DE shave at home but need a cartridge solution for plane carry-on. And I really wanted something nice and with a bit of weight to it for that purpose. Haven't received the Personna handle yet, so I can't comment on how it is, but most reviews were positive.

There are plenty of choices, I just replied to your comment on the twin blade thread.

Personna sells one, as do Col. Conk and Wilkinson Sword. They are all available on Amazon. I have ordered the Personna handle as a possible travel razor. I DE shave at home but need a cartridge solution for plane carry-on. And I really wanted something nice and with a bit of weight to it for that purpose. Haven't received the Personna handle yet, so I can't comment on how it is, but most reviews were positive.
Which Personna handle are you referring to?

I have no idea who makes this but they are just shipping it with Personna carts.

Oh, I see. You are correct, sir. My bad; I misread the listing. It pulled up when I was originally looking for the Bump Fighter handle, which is actually made by Personna and also accepts Trac II carts.

How about you guys start making some custom handles. The custom ones for sale are ridiculously priced. Well, not all are high priced.

I have never heard of a razor pit before.

proxy.php

Bingo
I've got one and it works great.

Clayton

Here is a picture of a vibrating handle for the Trac II/GII/PII. It works and uses one AA battery. It doesn't seem to do a better job. I prefer the Atra over the Trac.

$IMG_20140630_131104.jpg$IMG_20140630_131119.jpg$IMG_20140630_131144.jpg$IMG_20140630_131154.jpg

Top Bottom