What's new

The Fat Boy. How good was it?

After seeing pics of the old Gilette "Fat Boy", I felt like Marty McFly, being transported back to 1955.

Well, maybe not that early, cause I was only a 1 year old in that year, but perhaps the early-mid 60's.

I recall seeing and holding those twist to turn adjuster dials on the Handles, probably from my "Uncle Tumbleweed" as I called him.

Were these a decent DE Razor? I'm sure there's fans here to tell me about their ins, and outs? :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Like you I was too young at the time to know if they were real popular back in the day, but if you want to know how popular they are now just watch the classifieds section and see how many minutes a Fat Boy stays listed for sale. one... Two... Gone! A fat Boy is a great shaver.

Old memory seems to come back about those "adjust a dials", with some uniquely "resistant precision", like I was turning the focuser knob on some ultra rare sell a kidney to own Zeiss Telescope. That there were "click stops" on the Fat Boy Dial, correct?

Well worth the money. I have my birth year fanboy for one shave per year on my birthday to ensure that I have a good day.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A great razor. All the Gillette adjustable were good razors but the FB looked good and felt good in the hand. They are iconic.

Great razor. Are they that much better than a Slim that they deserve the premium you'll often find on eBay? IMHO, no. The prices are driven by rarity, as is often the case on the Bay. If you want one for the nostalgia, you won't be disappointed. If you're just in the market for a vintage Gillette adjustable, go for the Slim.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I just had my first Fatboy shave today...so your bringing it up is very serendipitous (you like that word drop? BOOM!). I set it to 5, and enjoyed the best shave I've ever had. Seriously. I haven't been wet shaving long so that may play into it, but I can't see switching to another razor for a while. The weight is good, the adjustability is excellent (duh), the grip is solid....its just a great razor. Granted, only the third DE I've ever used so take that for what its worth.

There were not many made against the slim adjustable so that is why they are valued more. I only have the slim so cannot compare the two. The slim shaves very well.

Thanks for chiming in folks! I see these on the big auction site, and as you'd have it, prices seem to vary a good deal. I imagine some of you folks might've lucked into NOS examples here and there, or ones that look like they were barely used, in mint condition.

One day I might run into a Fat Boy? Our large antique shop does get some nice treasures here and there. Reckon it comes down to being at the right place, at the right time.

Nice convenience versus 2-3 piece Razors. But I will say I've been extremely happy with my EJ DE89lbl. Very good bang for the dollar I would say.

After seeing pics of the old Gilette "Fat Boy", I felt like Marty McFly, being transported back to 1955.

Well, maybe not that early, cause I was only a 1 year old in that year, but perhaps the early-mid 60's.

I recall seeing and holding those twist to turn adjuster dials on the Handles, probably from my "Uncle Tumbleweed" as I called him.

Were these a decent DE Razor? I'm sure there's fans here to tell me about their ins, and outs? :biggrin1:

Hi, I have one and am glad I have it, but to be honest it is my least favorite razor. In my experience I get better shaves with the slim and black beauty. That said, again I am glad I have one. Still looking for the best blade combo for me and the FB.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Great razor. Are they that much better than a Slim that they deserve the premium you'll often find on eBay? IMHO, no. The prices are driven by rarity, as is often the case on the Bay. If you want one for the nostalgia, you won't be disappointed. If you're just in the market for a vintage Gillette adjustable, go for the Slim.
I can just about echo that. The Fatboy is a different shave than the Slim, though, and some strongly prefer one over the other.

I've been using mine for about 4 months straight. Leaving my Gillette New, and Red Tip, and Fat Handle Tech and a couple of others gathering dust.
Definitely my favorite, also '59 it makes it my birth year razor.

I've been using mine for about 4 months straight. Leaving my Gillette New, and Red Tip, and Fat Handle Tech and a couple of others gathering dust.
Definitely my favorite, also '59 it makes it my birth year razor.

Amazing. I had just the opposite thought prior to reading your post. I thought that for about the same money, you could own those exact three razors (New, Red Tip, and Tech). I disagree with your opinion, but when you say you hold the FatBoy above those other three, which IMO are fantastic) it is indeed a testimony, that much is for sure.

I always wondered why the Fatboy was taken out of production so much quicker than the Slim, was the Slim, or Mark II, considered a big step up technology wise at the time? I've heard that the Toggle, the first Gillette Adjustable, does not shave particularly well, and it was only made in limited numbers and manufactured for a short period, coincidence?

Top Bottom