What's new

The Virginia Gentlemen

As a birthright member of the Red Dirt Shaving Society, I would still like to extend an invitation to those members who live in the state in which I currently reside, and from whence came many of my forbears.

All Virginia shavers, we should have a group to call our own. With the large amount of military stationed here, I'm willing to bet the connections stretch even further.

I started the thread as The Virginia Gentlemen, but of course as we grow we should seek input from the group if we'd prefer another title. But since B&B is all about being a gentleman, I found it an appropriate first option.

Sound off of you are in the Old Dominion!

Though not originally from here, I've lived in Norfolk, Virginia since being stationed here in 1975. Got out of the Navy in '78 and stayed, and I call Hampton Roads home now. And I am also a proud alumni of Old Dominion University--Go Monarchs!

And I think the title is fitting.

Welcome, gentlemen! If you would like, feel free to put Virginia Gentleman in your sig. I too am here thanks to the Navy. Father was from here, but got stationed back here in 1984. I've been here ever since.

And BTW, Go Sawx!

Last edited:
Here is a form we can all use to introduce ourselves, if you are feeling so inclined!

1. First Name? James
2. What is your Virginia connection? Lived here since 1984.
3. What State Team do you root for? ODU Monarchs Football
4. What do you do? Data Wrangler, Norfolk Naval Shipyard
5. What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap: Long Rifle Shave Co. Bay Rhum
Cream: Proraso Red
Brushes: Custom small brush with TGN Silvertip Grade A badger knot
Aftershaves: Captain's Choice Cat O' Nine Tails
Razors: Modified Gold Dollar, AKA The Tank; DERW Steampunk Pre War Fat Handle Tech, AKA Artemus Gordon; Micro Touch One TTO, AKA Mister MTO
6. What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? Straight razors and scales

Tell us a little about yourself?
41 years old, recently changed careers after getting my BS in Computer Information Systems. Married to an amazing and smart woman who accepts my shaving obsession even if she does not understand it. Father to three great boys, aged 17, 15 and 12, who live with their mother but spend time with us regularly.
Hobbies: Music (perform in public occasionally), reading, writing, video games (Red Dead Redemption!), Westerns (TV and Movies), Steampunk.

H4nk....Blacksburg eh? I grew up in Elliston, my dad has worked at shelor for as long as I can remember (~25yrs) always a good time visiting back home...especially love it in the fall.

1. First Name? Aaron
2. What is your Virginia connection? Elliston VA 1987-2005, Norfolk/ va beach 2006-present
3. What State Team do you root for? VT by default :)
4. What do you do? USN Parachute rigger
5. What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap: VDH (cause its the only one ive tried
Cream: UNKNOWN
Brushes: VDH badger (only one ive tried)
Aftershaves: Aqua Velva / every man jack pepermint
Razors: Micro touch one (only ove ive tried)
6. What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? None

Been in the navy for 10 years, just waiting to hit 20. lol. hoping to get my college education going as I have been putting it off for far too long...I just don't know what I want to do with my life.
Hobbies: Cars, guns, reading, music (I play guitar), BMX (skateparks mostly, starting to get into trails)

1. First name? Jonathan
2. What is your Virginia connection? Born and raised.
3. What state team do you root for? Go Cavaliers.
4. What do you do? Firefighter EMT.
5. What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/aftershave?
Soap: Stirling Clubman
Cream: Haven't tried many but prefer soaps
Brush: Stirling's "Best" badger.
Razor: My grandfather's Slim.
Aftershave: Skin Bracer.
6. Worst acquisition disorder? Maybe razors but I don't think I really have one.
Hobbies: Shooting

Hoping we can drum up some more support in the other parts of the forum!

I wanted to ask, has anyone here already shaved with a Pre War Fat Handle Tech? I am thinking of a passaround, but I wanted to gauge interest.

Hoping some more VA folks will find us. We need to generate some action!

Also, do we have any straight shavers with us?

On an unrelated note, ODU is off to an awesome start to their football season!

Also, do we have any straight shavers with us?

Not straights for me...yet. I have a inexpensive shavette, but have been too afraid to use it. Too afraid I'll slice my face. But if you saw some of the SE razors I shaved with, you'd probably wonder why I wasn't afraid to shave with them.

Brad from Fredericksburg. I've been here since '99. I spent my first 20 years in WV, joined the Coast Guard and put down roots here. I graduated from George Mason, but I'm still a Mountaineer fan. I keep my shaving equipment pretty simple. I did have a time like most people where I just couldn't help but buy stuff. I have two boys and after a while they began to tease me every time another razor would come in the mail. I realized they kinda had a point and I didn't really need anything else. I rotate between a SS, Slim, a couple SE's, and a Parker. The Parker was my first and still one of my favorites. My 14 year old picked out a '53 SS and calls it his own. I have a couple Vintage straights that I enjoy using from time to time. I have a case of Arko, nothing else. I rotate a boar and badger brush but really only use the badger if I feel the boar needs to dry. AS? I can't pick a favorite, I like variety. Veg, Special Reserve, Citrus Musk, and Coachmen are regulars. I'm on my phone and its hard to see all of the points above so I sort of rambled. Thanks for the unique group of Virginia Gentleman, I'm glad to be here.

Welcome, Brad.

I did have a time like most people where I just couldn't help but buy stuff.

I'm still buying, though I hope I am nearing saturation. I feel set on soap/creams. Set on mugs and lather bowls. But I might have one or two more razors in me. I'm still buying blades. And one of my brushes is throwing bristles and throwing that away will probably be my excuse to get another. Right now my acquisition disorder is centered on aftershaves, spurred by the recent discovery that Master Well Comb is discontinuing a number of their scents and sizes of their aftershaves.

Welcome Brad! Feel free to call yourself a Virginia Gentleman in your sig!

I am in the throes of SAD (Soap Acquisition Disorder), because there are just too many great ones out there.

DogWhiskerer, I can understand the fear factor. I started with DEs because deep down, although I wanted to try the straight, I just wasn't comfortable. Once I decided to give it a shot, I can say that they definitely are a challenge, and you will cut yourself, but I am glad to be on the journey. The shaves have gotten much better, and there's an amazing personal satisfaction I feel knowing that I am shaving with a deadly weapon.

So I guess I am a Virginian, been here since 2002.

First Name? Jon
What is your Virginia connection? living and working here
What do you do?
What are your favorite soaps/creams/brushes/razors/
Soap: haven't decided
Cream: Havent decided
Brushes: havent decided
Aftershaves: lucido, TdH, Adp
Razors: haven't decided on straights.. Pretty sure though it's 6/8s+ with a smile, maybe a full size 14... DE would be slant, SE would be streamline
What are your worst acquisition disorders if any? SRAD, HAD, STROPAD, BAD,

Family man now, soccer coach, dad... Just did a year stint for a special exec program traveling the world... Love good/interesting food and bevs, to eat/make. Working on espresso now after years of drip,vac,press and tea... Digging rye as a drink, prefer Guinness and super extra hoppy beers. Just introduced to ghost peppers.. Yay.

Really dislike drugstore aftershaves, like clubman, brut, av, old spice and all that other stuff. I'd rather... Don't want to say it.. Hope that's okay...

Last edited:
Welcome, Jon! Feel free to call yourself a Virginia Gentleman in your sig.

I am also a fan of Guinness, but I prefer rum to rye. I also dig the super hot peppers like the Ghost. Thinkgeek sells dried Ghost Pepper flakes that I use on many things I used to use crushed red pepper flakes on instead.

What part of VA are you in?

Top Bottom