What's new

Voskhod- What are they comparable to?

I've tried lots of different blades and I can catagorize most of them as fair, or good, or better than most. But the better blades have fewer peers, and for me Voshkod is among the very best. They were my first 100 blade purchase, and my #2 blade at any cost.

For me the Voskhod is a slightly sharper version of the Personna Blue/Lab.

I really like the Lab Blues and I have never tried Voskhod blades yet, so I will make sure to try them next as I do have a couple from a sampler pack.

A lot of great info here. Thanks for posting this question/Thread

I have bought three 100-packs: Voskhod, Personna labs and GSBs. The Voskhod is the smoothest of the three and gives me great results in all my razors.

I tried voskhod yesterday for the first time and it was awful for me. So much tugging and pulling, felt like shave number 7 of a feather. I had high hopes for this blade but I guess ymmv.

Voskhods are a blade I can put in any of my razors and get great shaves. Can anyone comment on how Bolzano's compare as they will be my next purchase?

Bill,

I have recently scored 800 Voskhods for a good price on that Bay site. PM me and I can send you some Voskhods on me so you can tell us what you think.

LewBleu

Thanks to imatabor, I finally got to try the Voskhod blades...they work great for me and are about as smooth as the GSBs. I also tried the Personnas, thanks Aaron :001_cool: They don't work so good for me though .

Voskhods are a blade I can put in any of my razors and get great shaves. Can anyone comment on how Bolzano's compare as they will be my next purchase?
Bolzano is a great blade but a little short lived for my liking. Much like GSB and to a lesser extent Feather, they can be very touchy if not properly handled. I'm hoping to try Voskhods next. Based their description, it sounds like they might compare favorably to Polsilvers and Gillette Sharp Edges. Can anyone comment?

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but "voskhod" is simply "sunrise" in Russian, thus the red and yellow colour scheme.

proxy.php
Yes, but in the "the communist sun rising" sense - not joking nor jesting - and I shall get a box of 800 when SWMBO travels to the rodina next month. :)
BTW, they cost 12 RUB for 5 or 240 RUB for 1000 - that is $3.60 :w00t:

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Bill:
I found Voskhod (my one & only 'go-to'), blades to be 'awesome', moderately sharp (almost as sharp as a KAI, but much smoother & cheaper), forgiving and perfect with no pulling or tugging, very, very smooth, (albeit a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'), no irritation and/or razor burn that 99.9% of the time results in CCS's in 3 passes (WTG [downward], CTG [across] & ATG [upward]), with 2 great shaves per blade (I shave every-other day with Saturdays as my shaving 'day off').

They are also very compatible with both of my Merkur 38C (home), and vintage (W-2 Date Code: 1951), Gillette Tech (travel), cutting head paired with a vintage [1932's circa I believe]), Durham Duplex 3in Handle.:thumbsup:

In closing, Voskhod blades are a perfect balance of sharpness (moderate), smoothness (awesome)] and price (sweet)! :w00t:

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/sh...product=211221

Read More:http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/327703-Voskhod-Comrades-Club
proxy.php
"Dа...Время от времени, лезвие может быть между фокусами и изумление". Aнонимный (Translation...“Yes...at times, a razor blade can be between gimmickry and amazement". Anonymous

PS And yes...I agree with everyone here...Voskhod doses mean 'sunrise'
!
proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm coming off a Gillette 7 o'clock black and have a Voshkod lined up for tonight's shave. Looking forward to it; lots of positive hype on these blades.

I might be a bit biased here since I have ~500 at home with another 700 en route from mother Russia :thumbup:

For me they are the smoothest blades out there that are sharp enough to get me a BBS in most razors I have tried. I get 2 shaves (4 passes per shave) out of them (except with the R41 they give me only 1 good shave) and I have yet to come across a blade that gives me more than that.

What blades are they comparable to? Well of course Ladas - my 2nd favourite blades :lol:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I am most of the way through a 5 pack tuck of Voskhods. I love them. Ordered 120 more, and they are on their way here. I dont think they offer me the closest shave, but they are probably the smoothest shave I have had in any razor. Zero nicks, zero cuts, zero weepers, and ZERO irritation. Zero. I ran can run a fresh Vos in on of my razors and get zero irritation. Then a few days later, run a fresh 7 oc yellow in the same razor and get a little bit of irritation, and maybe a weeper or two. However, the 7 oc yellow will be a super close BBS shave everywhere on my face and neck, whereas I cant seem to get a total BBS on my neck with the Vos. I seem to have a sensitive area around the fold in my neck line. So that is really the only area of concern for me at this point in my shaving career. Everywhere else i can get a super close shave with most blades without issues. It is just this small neck line area that gives me trouble. So the question I am still trying to answer is whether it is worth a little bit of neck irritation (that goes away quickly) to get a super close BBS? Or should I settle for the most comfy smooth and irritation free shave with the Voskhod? And settle with DFS or less against the grain on the neck? Well, I have enough of each to figure it out.

Top Bottom