What's new

Voskhod- What are they comparable to?

I have been interested in trying Voskhod blades due to the great reviews I have read about them on this forum. There seems to be a lot of people who really sing their praises. What I'm interested in is this- Currently, I use Bolzanos, Perma Sharps, Feathers-which seem to disagree with me now as compared to some years back. These are my primary 3 blades I have @ least 50 each of. I also love Timor's and am looking to check out Personna Med Preps. Back to the Voskhods. really wanting to know what these blades would be comparable to in my arsenal of blades. When I try out blades, I am looking for something that shares the characteristics of what I already use plus am looking for the sharpness as well as smoothness. Where does Voskhod stand in comparison with the blades I've mentioned?

In my personal opinion...I love Voskhods. But I will say that I do not think they are the sharpest out there but I do think they are one of the smoothest. I do think they are just as sharp as the Personna Med Preps and smoother. They are not anywhere near as sharp as the feathers, but every time I use a feather it seems to be a blood bath. I have not used Balzanos or Perma Sharps so I can't comment on those. Other blades I have used are Nacet, Wilkinson Sword (Germany), Rapira, Sputnik, Personna Red (Israeli) and Ladas. All of these are sharper that the Voskhods but nearly as smooth. The Wilkinson Sword (Germany) and the Sputnik are smoother than the others but still not as smooth as the Voskhods. Gillette Silver Blues are on par with Voskhods as far as sharpness goes but still are not as smooth. I have also tried Kai, Astra SP, and Derby...non of these are on par with Voskhod. My last purchase of Voskhod blades I bought from Italian barber on that popular auction site for about $15.00 for 100 of them. I think you can get them cheaper maybe. Anyway...I really hope this helps and is not all that confusing. Again this is just my personal opinion and as always...YMMV.

Last edited:
I thought the Voskhod were very comfortable. They were nice and smooth and plenty sharp for me.

In comparison, the Astra SP felt strong/aggressive on my first shave (even though I had zero irritation or cuts), but then nice and smooth for four more shaves. They are also plenty sharp for me.

The biggest difference for me was longevity: the Voskhod lasted 3 shaves and the Astra SP lasted 5 and I could have done more. Of all the blades I've tried (and I still have a pack of about 20 more different blades to try), the Astra SP have been the best blade in terms of comfort, sharpness and longevity. I just had really good shaves with them.

It's been awhile since I've had any, but if I remember correctly, on the third shave I could tell I had better swap that blade the next shave. Smooth yes, endurance, not so much. As for sharpness, I remember the Platinum Lux being a touch sharper, and really, my Silver Blue's and Nacet's, to me, are just as smooth as Voskhod's.

I am relatively new to Voskhods discovering them after trying a couple and reading a lot of praise for them. Then when the Rubie dropped I bought 100 of them.. My other tops blades now are Astra SP, Gillette Silver Blue, Personna labs, and Gillette 7OC blacks. I would place them sharper than the ASP maybe in there with the Personnas. Very smooth and I go a week on them like I do with any blade. Very smooth, sharp, consistent... a top blade.

I haven't tried Voskhod...but they sound like something a Viking would have named his Axe (I'm the guy in a kilt...its not a bad thing!)

I might be wrong, but "voskhod" is simply "sunrise" in Russian, thus the red and yellow colour scheme.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've shaved with a Voshkod for the last couple of days (and a number of times before, as well). I find them quite smooth and sharp, very similar to the Israeli Personna Reds I love.

Just tried a Voskhod for the first time a couple hours ago. Seemed pretty decent, both smooth and sharp, at this point I'm not quite sure what to compare it to. Perhaps like a sharper Astra? Anyway it gave me a nice BBS without any irritation. I'll be using it over the next several days to see how it holds up.

Super-Max Platinum
Rapira Platinum Lux

Those are the two blades that (1) have similar grind and hone patterns to Voskhod and (2) shave similarly to Voskhod in my opinion.

Top Bottom