What's new

Did I do right? Seiko Orange monster.

Well after looking around I got hooked on the Orient brand of watches, in particular either Mako or Ray both with orange dials. This web search lead me to the door of the Seiko Orange Monster SKX 781. Now discontinued and replaced with either the SKX 309J (JDM) or a few beans cheaper the SKX 309K (1). Again both with orange dials. After a few emails and a great deal of web searching I've pulled the trigger on a 309k, while not entirely made in japan its gotten good reviews on a few watch sites.

My problem now is I've just read the Orient post here on B&B and it's reignited my Orient Mako or Ray hunt. So did I do right? and forget the Mako & Ray for a little or just jump in, in a few months when my Birthday is here.

hers what I went with also got another 5% off after reading the blog and finding a discount code.

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/seiko-automatic-monster-divers-srp309k1-3588.html?zenid=45pne1oltaot3pk6r79c351gf0

My mako gets a lot more wrist time than my monster. Had the monster first. The mako is the closest thing I have to a weekend watch. Nothing really special about it just a plain black mako which I have on a Bond NATO, but it seem to be a good fit for me. No reason not to own both.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've both the Mako & an Orange Monster. The OM is heavier and feels to be better made. Just turning the bezel to "set the timer" says that the OM is pretty smooth, while this Mako acts almost as if it was made not to turn ..

Legion

Staff member
I've not owned an Orient, but Had an orange Seiko diver with the same movement as the monster. It was good! I only sold it because I wanted to reduce the number of Auto watches I was trying to keep wound.

I have an SKX779 black Monster and I love it, I can't get along with bracelets though so it's on a Bonetto Cinturini rubber strap. I really like that the Monster doesn't look like anything else and, even though I don't dive, I like that it's an ISO-certified dive watch.

I had a Black Monster for 10 years until it recently died in a fall onto a marble floor. Movement destroyed. Loved it. I nearly bought another but ended up going with a Seiko Solar chronograph diver instead. It does look good on the Monster's stainless steel bracelet, though!

Well after looking around I got hooked on the Orient brand of watches, in particular either Mako or Ray both with orange dials. This web search lead me to the door of the Seiko Orange Monster SKX 781. Now discontinued and replaced with either the SKX 309J (JDM) or a few beans cheaper the SKX 309K (1). Again both with orange dials. After a few emails and a great deal of web searching I've pulled the trigger on a 309k, while not entirely made in japan its gotten good reviews on a few watch sites.

My problem now is I've just read the Orient post here on B&B and it's reignited my Orient Mako or Ray hunt. So did I do right? and forget the Mako & Ray for a little or just jump in, in a few months when my Birthday is here.

hers what I went with also got another 5% off after reading the blog and finding a discount code.

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-divers-60/seiko-automatic-monster-divers-srp309k1-3588.html?zenid=45pne1oltaot3pk6r79c351gf0

Personally, I prefer the SKX007 to the Monster. I hesitate to wear watches with a dial that is primarily a color other than black, white, or silver/gray. But that's a personal preference. To your question "Did I do right?" The answer is always "YES!!!" if you're happy. If the question is "Did I get a good deal?" then the answer is definitely yes. That's a nice price on a quality watch that will last many years. Hope you enjoy it!

I have an Orange Monster 2nd generation (SRP309 movement) and just love it. I actually took it for scuba diving (it's an ISO certified watch), and it's very legible under water. The domed crystal makes the face look bigger, and the way it catches light under water is so that if you're at a given angle, it's 100% mirror; a few degrees less and it's perfectly transparent. So you have an all-or-nothing viewing experience, which is fun. The orange is also excellent for underwater legibility.

On the street, it's a watch I use for office-casual dress (polo, not shirt), but it doesn't look out of place like certain sports watches. The rotating bezel is very useful as a timer if you are wondering how much time you've been wasting listening to that windbag executive during staff meeting, but I digress...

Make sure your jeweller knows how to adjust the bracelet properly; I nearly had a watch accident because of a Seiko-illiterate one.

The rotating bezel is handy for keeping track of the parking meter. Soon you will be checking out the Nato nylon straps on Ebay. Have fun!

Sorry for the late update but have been on a walking holiday for a week or so. Well the OM SKA-309k1, arrived on Wednesday morning and I must say it's a looker indeed. A great big chunk of Seiko watch. A great orange face with great fingers. The strap is possibly the best metal bracelet I've worn on a watch and as such there's no plans to change for time being. I removed a link and promptly lost the little collar on the floor some where and no amount of searching has found it. I have however bought some stainless collars from a local hobby centre and have no probs currently. It's been on solid now since arrival. Only off for bed time. The bezel is uni-directional and 120 clicks for a full turn. I've got pics but I'm struggling with widows 10 and blackberry interfacing at the moment.

While I was away I went with my superb Citizen Eco drive aquasport 200 and a a good old Vostok orange scuba. Pics as well to follow.

Top Bottom