Favorite Brush knot? Badger, Boar, or Synthetic

• Badger

• Boar

• Synthetic

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Given the recent improvements in Synthetic knots, many have reported they prefer them to badger or boar. I thought it would be interesting to take a snapshot poll of your favorite knot. I am limiting to the three options of Boar, Badger, Synthetic or Other. I know there are horse and mixed knot brushes that some love, but I believe they are less popular.

I think it will be interesting to compare changes over time
$Capture.jpg

$Capture.jpg

Last edited:
I really love synthetic knots. I find I can make lather much easier and for me the performance beats badger whether I'm face lathering or bowl lathering. Here are my synthetic brushes so far.

$Synthetic Brushes.jpg

Last edited:
I still prefer badger, preferably Silvertip grade, over any other material. The only synthetic that I have tried and feel gives badger a run for the money is the Muhle 23mm synthetic I use as a travel brush. Most of the other synthetics I have tried are too floppy for my tastes.

Definitely synthetic will be taking share off the badger crowd in the long run.
As for me: Boar, please!

I've only had one synthetic, a cheap burma shave brush that I received as gift a few years ago. Couldn't get it to make a bit of lather, ended up tossing it so I ruled out synthetic forever. So I choose boar for now, but all this recent praise for synthetics has peaked my interest to the point where I'm seriously considering giving one of the new ones a shot.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mike:
attachment.php
Since starting out on my shaving
odyssey 'eons ago' trying Boar, Horse, Horse/ Boar blend and all types of Badger, I've long since returned to using only Boar!

I found boars (my B & B Omega Boars are my 'go-to' brushes [I already have the gold flake, blue & frosted blue], to have knots that are more densely packed, has lots of backbone, more 'springy', soft but more stiffer than badger [or a mix thereof]). :blush:

In short, and in my own humbled opinion...boar is a 'face latherers' dream! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
[FONT=&amp]“I am an artist. The [mirror] is my canvas and the boar is my brush”. Graham Hill[/FONT]

Last edited:
I am synthetic guy but could easily go back to my badgers and boars (First horse was just ordered today). Sometimes, I doubt the results of these polls as I often wonder how many voters actually have/or extensively tried all types.

I've only had one synthetic, a cheap burma shave brush that I received as gift a few years ago. Couldn't get it to make a bit of lather, ended up tossing it so I ruled out synthetic forever. So I choose boar for now, but all this recent praise for synthetics has peaked my interest to the point where I'm seriously considering giving one of the new ones a shot.
Do it! I have the Stirling and the Plissan. Both just wonderful to use. I pitched an old style WD synthetic also. Horrible.

I have boar (SOC, Omega 49), badger (NF Tubby 2, WD 30mm silvertip, Simpson P8), and synthetic (Muhle v2 STF 25mm, EJ v2 STF 25MM) and the synthetics are my favourite specifically the EJ.

Top Bottom