What's new

Designing a Shavemac Brush

I've been OCDing over designing a Shavemac Brush, and based upon a lot of help posted here (big hat tip to Bosse) I think that I might be close enough. But, I'd like to run it by any brush advocates willing to respond just to see if I know what I'm doing.

I have a Simpsons Duke 2 which I really like, but I'd like something bigger, firmer, and possibly softer, though I don't mind scrub at all. The Duke has a best knot that I think is 22 x 41 mm.

I was thinking of a Shavemac D01 3-band fan shape with a 24 x 48 knot or a 25 x 50 knot. I think that if I went any larger the splay would cover half my face.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Those look like good numbers to me, but I think most would want a slightly higher loft on the D01. With a fan, you could probably drop to a 23 X (48~50) and still be good.

I have a fan-shaped DO1 3 Band at 23mm, 53mm loft. It is plenty dense and "cover half my face." It's a great brush, and one of my favorites. I would be cautious about going larger with a lower loft unless you want REALLY firm.

Also, these brushes benefit greatly from a longer pre-soak than less-dense brushes need.

If you want a softer knot from Shavemac, do yourself a great favour and select the new Silvertip 2-Band one. The hair is almost 'gel-like' with very strong backbone and good flow-through.
Good luck.

I've been OCDing over designing a Shavemac Brush, and based upon a lot of help posted here (big hat tip to Bosse) I think that I might be close enough. But, I'd like to run it by any brush advocates willing to respond just to see if I know what I'm doing.

I have a Simpsons Duke 2 which I really like, but I'd like something bigger, firmer, and possibly softer, though I don't mind scrub at all. The Duke has a best knot that I think is 22 x 41 mm.

I was thinking of a Shavemac D01 3-band fan shape with a 24 x 48 knot or a 25 x 50 knot. I think that if I went any larger the splay would cover half my face.

Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track?

I have a custom D-01 three band at 24x50, and I wish I had gone maybe 52 on the loft. You won't get a ridiculous splay with a 1:2 ratio because the D-01 knot is very dense.

Thanks all. Seems like I am on the boundary as far as loft goes.

I have a 23/46, nice face latherer. I would not go below a 2:1 ratio.
Thanks. Is that a bulb or a fan?

I have a custom D-01 three band at 24x50, and I wish I had gone maybe 52 on the loft. You won't get a ridiculous splay with a 1:2 ratio because the D-01 knot is very dense.
Thanks. Is that a bulb or fan? How big does it fell on your face? Huge, medium, small?

Thanks all. Seems like I am on the boundary as far as loft goes.

Thanks. Is that a bulb or a fan?

Thanks. Is that a bulb or fan? How big does it fell on your face? Huge, medium, small?

Mine is a bulb. It feels medium on my face. Ideally, I'd like a bit more splay, but I do love my brush.

Awesome.

I sent an email to Shavemac to get their advice. It seems like I'm not completely lost. Wonders never cease.

I've only tried one D01 3-band brush, but the hairs were stiff and I didn't like using it. The hairs all clumped together, kind of like an old Simpson best that I have, rather than blooming out like most silvertip.

I've said before, but a two brush rotation with a 24x54 3-band bulb (a la Savile Row) and a 24x48 2-band silvertip fan would make an excellent combo.

I just noticed this regular 2band silver that Rudy made me has hooked tips... I remember reading this was a highly coveted deal making them the "gel tips" or something like that? Either way, after using the 2 band silver all my other brushes are now "scritchy" one would never really know the difference until you have felt both sensations... I just got my Epsilon in and while I haven't had time to play with it, dry it already feels softer AND firmer than anything in my den... I'll report back soon.

I just noticed this regular 2band silver that Rudy made me has hooked tips... I remember reading this was a highly coveted deal making them the "gel tips" or something like that? Either way, after using the 2 band silver all my other brushes are now "scritchy" one would never really know the difference until you have felt both sensations... I just got my Epsilon in and while I haven't had time to play with it, dry it already feels softer AND firmer than anything in my den... I'll report back soon.
Looking forward to your review on the Epsilon.

Top Bottom