What's new

Franklin Barbecue Book

Here is my beat up, old class jar with a dented metal lid. I don't know what it's original purpose was but it was laying around a cupboard so I grabbed it.

That is a sugar shaker but should work fine.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/american-metalcraft/gla318/p355568.aspx

I have a similar glass jar like Brucered. It's a bit smaller.
Currently has a mix of red/white/black/horopito pepper and salt.

View attachment 599863

You see these at pizza and some Italian places with flake red pepper in them. They have larger holes

http://www.amazon.com/Grated-Cheese-Pepper-Glass-Shaker/dp/B001CDQMBK

I use a re-purposed large space container. Works well and the holes are big enough for even coverage but not too big

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So far, I made the Fig BBQ sauce out of the cooking and I rate that one the best. Considering the price of figs, it would probably be something that I will do once or twice a year (when figs are on special). They are nothing like the figs I ate right off the tree in Italy. However, that sauce was the best so far.

I tried the Espresso BBQ sauce and this one was good but tasted ordinary to me. It's a good BBQ sauce but the Fig sauce is better IMO.

I have yet to try the regular BBQ sauce and Vinegar BBQ sauce. I will do the regular this week-end.

I also made his newly posted chicken sauce with Tamarind and that one was quite nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Surprisingly, the Big Bob Gibson white sauce works great with chicken.

2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared horseradish (or freshly grated, if available)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne

Use for basting and dressing your chicken.

Surprisingly, the Big Bob Gibson white sauce works great with chicken.

2 cups mayonnaise
1/2 cup prepared horseradish (or freshly grated, if available)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. kosher salt
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne

Use for basting and dressing your chicken.

+1. Also great on pulled pork sandwiches.

I also made his newly posted chicken sauce with Tamarind and that one was quite nice.

The chicken sauce sounds right up my alley, kind of has a Thai food thing going on with it. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

Staff member
You can watch most of Franklin's stuff on his youtube channel which is neat. That sauce was really nice. I had it with pork chops also and it was good!

Luc

Staff member
Here's a list of what I tried so far Sauce-wise, those sauces are from the book.

Will make again
Fig BBQ sauce/Vinegar BBQ sauce

Good but I don't think I will make again
Espresso BBQ Sauce

I have the Fig and Vinegar sauce on the same line as they are both good and interesting. While the Vinegar sauce is more of a Tomato based sauce as opposed to a mustard sauce (i.e. South Carolina sauce). I understand that it's a region thing and one or the other is acceptable. I prefer the tomato based sauce. I do not use Ketchup but had fresh tomatoes instead. I Vitamix-ed everything and followed the instructions.

I have the "regular" BBQ sauce to make which should be in a week or two. So far, that's how they stand!

I will also try the Big Bob Gibson white sauce eventually (not in the book).

Luc

Staff member
Okay, I finally made all the sauces.

While mine are probably not as sweet (I use fresh tomatoes instead of ketchup), the regular BBQ was a revelation. I let the word "regular" fool me! It was a great sauce. We had a piece of lamb and some chicken that I cooked. I took everything with me to work (including the sauces) and it was a hit!

Big Bob Gibson is next!

Okay, I finally made all the sauces.

While mine are probably not as sweet (I use fresh tomatoes instead of ketchup), the regular BBQ was a revelation. I let the word "regular" fool me! It was a great sauce. We had a piece of lamb and some chicken that I cooked. I took everything with me to work (including the sauces) and it was a hit!

Big Bob Gibson is next!

I made a jar of the Regular a few weeks ago too, it's great stuff. Worked well on our Rib.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I haven't tried to make Franklin's BBQ sauces. Maybe because he offers 3 of them in my local super market. The one made with figs looks good.

Luc

Staff member
I haven't tried to make Franklin's BBQ sauces. Maybe because he offers 3 of them in my local super market. The one made with figs looks good.

I don't know if the supermarket bottle is the same than his sauce in the book... They must add some kind of citric acid or maybe more salt to preserve the sauce longer... What I can say is that the recipes from the book are very nice.

Here is my beat up, old class jar with a dented metal lid. I don't know what it's original purpose was but it was laying around a cupboard so I grabbed it.

That's exactly what I use. I bought it from a chef supply store and it's usually used for grated cheese (bigger holes). The other thing I use is a mason jar. I poked holes in the lid with a 12 penny nail. You can seal the jar by placing the one with the holes on first followed by another lid followed by the threaded ring.

BTW...I have no problem with fresh grated pepper and that's all I use. If it's too strong, use less.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Man oh man.....I've wanted a Tipsy Texan since I first read about it.

That is a good look breakfast Jay, what did Mrs Ouch have?

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So Jay, you come all the way down to Austin to eat at Franklin BBQ (other reasons don't matter) and I receive no invite? No invite?? You'll have to live with that decision....it would have all been on me (and I bring chairs).

I hope you went into a meat comma.:laugh:

Top Bottom