What's new

Franklin Barbecue Book

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I had to kick all of those ladies out before they drooled on my lunch.

I made another batch of the "sweet" BBQ sauce from the book. I used sriracha ketchup and added a little more brown sugar, it came out pretty good.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Nice, that sauce is great indeed!

I didn't sauce the ribs but I did use it on the side for dipping. It's a great recipe and since its kind of a basic plain Jane style sauce it's a good one to tailor to your personal taste.
I'll be putting it on some of my homemade version on some smoked chicken wings this weekend. Maybe I'll do 1/2 in Espresso (still have a bit from Aarons PIF) and the other 1/2 in mine.

I'll be putting it on some of my homemade version on some smoked chicken wings this weekend. Maybe I'll do 1/2 in Espresso (still have a bit from Aarons PIF) and the other 1/2 in mine.
Mmmmm chicken wings. I have smoked them a couple of times but really need to pick a way to finish them off. My traeger gives them great flavor but with no direct heat the skin is too rubbery. I need a little Weber to finish them on I think.
I really want a do over on the espresso sauce too. The batch I made was okay but not quite what it's supposed to be.

[MENTION=35965]otto76[/MENTION] The past few times I've done them on the ceramic with heat deflector, I haven't needed to crisp them up. If I'm not doing them loo low a heat.

We always flour them, spray with oil and let the smoke crisp them....maybe we've been lucky. If we sauce them, I'll add that during the last 15 and flip often.

I've been reading up on the Offset smoker Mods and tips in the Manifesto as I hope to be picking up a Heavy Duty unit tomorrow about 90min from home via Kijiji.

I still have to break the news to my wife :w00t:

Last edited:
Just leave very early in the morning. A note about where you are going is good, but it has to include something about flowers and beach vacations.
We've talked about the smoker and I will tell her before I leave...but thought it best to wait until the morning I am going for it, less time to think and talk me out of it. She'll also being up fhe fact that I already have a NG, Ceramic and multiple kettles. My argument about how this one is different will fall on deaf ears.

I'll take the kids with me for a little road trip, they have a few mom & pop places in the town it's in (a few very good meat markets too), so well make a mini-road trip out of it. She has plans in the afternoon, so it should work out perfectly.

Fingers crossed it all works out and the smoker is as good as it looks.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just leave very early in the morning. A note about where you are going is good, but it has to include something about flowers and beach vacations.
Say nothing, smoke some pork, then serve. When she says "this is the best pork ever" then drop the bomb

Brucered, good luck this morning! Enjoy the road trip with the kiddos and let's see the new hardware when you get home!

I'm currently finishing up chapter four as I type this.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
We've talked about the smoker and I will tell her before I leave...but thought it best to wait until the morning I am going for it, less time to think and talk me out of it. She'll also being up fhe fact that I already have a NG, Ceramic and multiple kettles. My argument about how this one is different will fall on deaf ears.

I'll take the kids with me for a little road trip, they have a few mom & pop places in the town it's in (a few very good meat markets too), so well make a mini-road trip out of it. She has plans in the afternoon, so it should work out perfectly.

Fingers crossed it all works out and the smoker is as good as it looks.

I'll give you credit for this- you're a brave man.

Even women like good tasting meat.
She's a fan of BBQ, so that helps.
Say nothing, smoke some pork, then serve. When she says "this is the best pork ever" then drop the bomb
That's what I kind of did last time and it worked (see below).

Brucered, good luck this morning! Enjoy the road trip with the kiddos and let's see the new hardware when you get home!

I'm currently finishing up chapter four as I type this.

I'll be posting some pics for sure. The kids will probably grumble but we'll stop for lunch and/or at their ice cream parlor. The guy took down the ad when I asked him to hold it until today, but I was still worried it would be gone. He just returned my email and we arranged a time and his address, so it's looking good so far.

I don't know exactly what to look for besides damage, rust and fhe thickness of the metal. He thought it was an old Horizon, it was his Dad's and hasn't been used in years. It looks like one, appears heavy but the seller couldn't find a stamp.
I'll give you credit for this- you're a brave man.
More likely its stupidity. I tried it with my Ceramic and it worked but will give her the heads up this time. She used to work shifts and I brought home the ceramic when she was working nights and had if assembled on the deck when she woke up. She wasn't too happy but approved after our first smoke of ribs.

As I told Aaron via PM, I'll use the kitchen reno as leverage. To be honest, the smoker isn't a huge investment, she probably won't really care but will still try and give me a hard time over it.

I recall her saying we aren't allowed to have any more canoes or kayaks but hasn't set a limit on Smokers. She was the one who brought me home a Weber Jumbo Joe for $22 when Target was going under.

Last edited:
Top Bottom