What's new

Gillette files for Tech trademark registration

This does not sound like good news. They probably will sue modern razor makers in order to stifle competition. They may not win every suit, but they can make it very expensive to develop new razors.

This be followed by a factory recall of all Gillette razors made before 1990.

Buy! - Buy! - Buy! - While there is still time!

This does not sound like good news. They probably will sue modern razor makers in order to stifle competition. They may not win every suit, but they can make it very expensive to develop new razors.
I'm not sure I understand, are there other razor manufacturers using the name Tech?

I'm not sure I understand, are there other razor manufacturers using the name Tech?
In a quick, less than thorough, internet search; I found a silly looking little USB rechargeable electric travel razor called "ShaveTech". I don't know the legalities of what it takes to constitute a trademark infringement, or if there are grandfather clauses, or what.

No, I doubt that will happen. This is a trademark, not a patent. This would protect the use of the name "Tech" as it pertains to razors, but in no way limits the design/construction of razors. Modern makers could still use whatever design elements they want, including copying the original Tech design, they just can't use the name "Tech" to brand their razor. There are plenty of other names to use. On the other hand, perhaps it means Gillette is asserting their trademark rights to have a go at the DE market? Think of the nostalgia appeal of such a razor.:bored:

No, I doubt that will happen. This is a trademark, not a patent. This would protect the use of the name "Tech" as it pertains to razors, but in no way limits the design/construction of razors. Modern makers could still use whatever design elements they want, including copying the original Tech design, they just can't use the name "Tech" to brand their razor. There are plenty of other names to use. On the other hand, perhaps it means Gillette is asserting their trademark rights to have a go at the DE market? Think of the nostalgia appeal of such a razor.:bored:

Can't believe I missed that detail! Thanks for clarifying that for us, and sorry for the confusion!

On the other hand, perhaps it means Gillette is asserting their trademark rights to have a go at the DE market? Think of the nostalgia appeal of such a razor.:bored:

That was my first thought as well. They are losing a lot of ground on the market. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a stab at the DE market.

Top Bottom