What's new

Pickled

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I made my first picked eggs. I just grabbed a pickling recipe off the internet. For the pickling juice I used 3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar, 3/4 cup of white vinegar, 3 tablespoons each of salt and sugar. I heated it all up till the salt and sugar granules disappeared. Let cool and then built my ingredients and spices. Eggs, smoked sausage/smoked ham, onion, peppercorns, celery seed, star anise, dill weed, jalapeno and cherry tomatoes. The below quart bottles have been sitting for 3 days. I opened one up today and tasted an egg. It was delicious but not quite there.

Questions:

1. How long should I pickle?
2. Should the juice taste salty or more vinegary? Or both?

What have ya'll pickled that was a pretty good recipe?

View attachment 588072

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have never pickled anything..............except myself on the odd occasion. :a54:

My farther use to make pickled onions which were devine. He also made jams and a nice mustard pickle.
I should look at doing a batch of pickled onions one day.
If only I paid attention more when I was young.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Mike, I thought about using the beets for added flare. Next time I'll try those. One of the jars above has 2 bay leaves. I opened one to try the onion and the tomato. It seems they have not "cooked" long enough and after three days are still crunchy. I'm considering a full 7 days before I can't stand to wait any longer. Again I have no clue how long to let brine.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've never done any that had onion or tomatoes in it...they may not get "cooked." :confused1

I usually let 'em sit for about 3 days then start eating them. Whether they should taste salty or vinegary I guess just adjust the portions to your liking.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
My two favorite things to pickle are sliced jalapenos and sliced fresh ginger. I use them a lot, and they last so long after pickling that I only have to prepare them two or three times a year.

The pickling brine is the basic Momofuku method:

For brine:
  • 1 cup very hot tap water
  • 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been making pickled eggs with gojuchang, ginger, garlic, and "stuff" for a while, and I love 'em. They'll never get as "pickley" as vegetable pickles, but they are quite different.

I'd say to give them at least a couple weeks to see what will come of them. A few days probably won't cut it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My two favorite things to pickle are sliced jalapenos and sliced fresh ginger. I use them a lot, and they last so long after pickling that I only have to prepare them two or three times a year.

The pickling brine is the basic Momofuku method:

For brine:
  • 1 cup very hot tap water
  • 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
  • 6 tbsp sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp kosher salt

Thank you. More sugar than I would have thought.
I've been making pickled eggs with gojuchang, ginger, garlic, and "stuff" for a while, and I love 'em. They'll never get as "pickley" as vegetable pickles, but they are quite different.

I'd say to give them at least a couple weeks to see what will come of them. A few days probably won't cut it.

See, now that's what I was thinking. 2 weeks seems about right, but I'm hungry.

Looks good Aaron, the longer you can hold off the better. I love the onions, I like to throw pearl onions in sometimes instead of slice onions. The brines I use is definitely more vinegary than salty.

Ooooo, YUM! I make pickled eggs all the time. I love them smelly little snacks-pods.

2 weeks is good. Mess about with your recipe until you find something you like. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Agree with the two weeks on pickled eggs. They should last for at least three months in the fridge.

You recipe looks great, but can I ask what the random meat products are doing in there? Never seen it before, and I'm scratching my head over that. :001_unsur

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Agree with the two weeks on pickled eggs. They should last for at least three months in the fridge.

You recipe looks great, but can I ask what the random meat products are doing in there? Never seen it before, and I'm scratching my head over that. :001_unsur

I read somewhere that included smoked sausage in with their eggs. The idea was to get some smoke flavor into the eggs. I've eaten one egg from each bottle and I'm getting a subtle smoke flavor....nice...it needs more time though.

I've never pickled anything and put it into a jar for later consumption.

However, I like to "quick pickle" stuff for immediate use. For example, when I made arepas recently, I picked sliced red onions and jalapenos on the stove top, then stuck them on the arepas and consumed them. I just boiled them in the pickling brine for about 10 minutes and then let them sit until I was ready to assemble the arepas.

Same deal on the 4th of July. I sliced some fresh jalapenos and "quick pickled" them on the stove. Once the burgers were ready, I just stuck 'em on the burger with the other toppings and enjoyed.

I don't feel the need to put pickeled stuff into a jar when it's so easy to pickle something right then and there when you need it and just consume it all with the meal.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I read somewhere that included smoked sausage in with their eggs. The idea was to get some smoke flavor into the eggs. I've eaten one egg from each bottle and I'm getting a subtle smoke flavor....nice...it needs more time though.

Maybe try using a bit of chipotle pepper instead of smoked sausage to get the smoke flavour you are after.

Top Bottom