What's new

Above The Tie - slant - design change?

Got mine today ... a 'return' S1 base that looks like it was never on a razor (2015 dated) and a new slant cap. The cap is pretty clearly a version 1. As I said, ordered on 11/9 and received on 11/16 (I think the post office lost it for a couple days ... but there was a holiday in there too.)

Based on the comments in this thread, it seems that Stan is apparently shipping at least as many v1 caps for the S2 as the v2 caps. Nonetheless, just in case anyone is interested in this topic in the future, I thought I would post my final thoughts (it's time to return Peter's v2 head to him - thanks, Peter, for lending me the v2 for the sake of science!).

Despite my earlier speculation that a shim might make the v2 shave like a v1, it does not work. The improvement was modest. I didn't try 2 shims.

The cap makes more difference than the baseplate. While it is true that the two baseplates are not exactly the same, switching baseplates made relatively little difference to me. Switching top caps, however, made a noticeable difference.

Although I've engaged in some speculation, I'm still not sure what causes the v1 to be more aggressive, but it is.

While I may prefer the v1, the v2 is a great shaver. It is very, very smooth and forgiving.

You're very welcome, Ed, and thanks for performing the testing! It seems that, for the most part, we came to the same conclusions.

I'm also surprised that many now, even buying directly from Stan, are receiving v1 heads. I wouldn't think that there would still be that many left over. I received my v2, over 4 months ago (mid-July). Maybe, the v1 is being produced again? That's speculation, of course.

You're very welcome, Ed, and thanks for performing the testing! It seems that, for the most part, we came to the same conclusions.

I'm also surprised that many now, even buying directly from Stan, are receiving v1 heads. I wouldn't think that there would still be that many left over. I received my v2, over 4 months ago (mid-July). Maybe, the v1 is being produced again? That's speculation, of course.

Yeah, Stan may have just given up on the v2 idea. Sort of like "New Coke."

You guys are making me second guess my decision to order a S2 (v2) razor instead of asking for the v1...which will be delivered on Thursday.

You guys are making me second guess my decision to order a S2 (v2) razor instead of asking for the v1...which will be delivered on Thursday.

Well, based on what I've read here, you may still receive a V1. But, either way, I also get the sense that the difference is minimal in the grand scheme of things. The razor will be great and you'll get a great shave from it. Anything other than that is just idle chat on a message forum. I understand the desire to get exactly what we want, especially for a premium priced razor, but I also think it's easy to get lost in the minutia of largely inconsequential things. I say enjoy your new razor in good health.

If you really like smooth, v2 is the way to go.
If by smooth you mean the opposite of rough, then yes. If you mean mild on the aggressiveness scale then no. I'm looking for something more aggressive than my EJ DE89.

Well, based on what I've read here, you may still receive a V1. But, either way, I also get the sense that the difference is minimal in the grand scheme of things. The razor will be great and you'll get a great shave from it. Anything other than that is just idle chat on a message forum. I understand the desire to get exactly what we want, especially for a premium priced razor, but I also think it's easy to get lost in the minutia of largely inconsequential things. I say enjoy your new razor in good health.
I think (and hope) you're right about this being a minuscule detail. As long as I can get great shaves with it is all that matters

Yeah, Stan may have just given up on the v2 idea. Sort of like "New Coke."

I hope it is true. I'm holding off the purchase until I can make sure that V2 is no more.

I wish more people can report which version they received from Stan most recently.

Hi,

I just emailed ATT regarding the availability of the V1, and was informed they have no stock left. So, looks like V2 only. I think I will just wait for a differential slant. Perhaps one with OC on one side and SB on the other to tell the mild side from the aggressive.....

Stan

Looking top down on V1 the blade is parallel to the teeth or safety bar but has an appearance of uneven blade exposure when looking across the edge of the top cap. V2 supposedly corrects this uneven look when looking at top cap.

There is a picture on page 4/post #70. Razor on left is V1, on right the V2.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...Tie-slant-design-change?p=7788962#post7788962

This picture confuses me more because there is conflicting information earlier in the post. Put simply, in general, is the cap that produces even (as in, parallel) blade exposure the V1 or V2 version?

Mine is labeled 2015 and was ordered fairly recently, and it seems to have uneven blade exposure that appears closer to the picture on the left. Does that mean that mine is the V1 version?

I have a S2 that I bought from "Shavetools" about a month ago and no matter how I look at it, the blade looks uneven. I believe it is a V1 but I can't be sure. It shaves very nicely.

Hi Neo
The safest to do is snap a photo and send it to Stan by email. My impression is you have a v1 if it looks like the first photo referenced.

Does it shave well for you?

This picture confuses me more because there is conflicting information earlier in the post. Put simply, in general, is the cap that produces even (as in, parallel) blade exposure the V1 or V2 version?

Mine is labeled 2015 and was ordered fairly recently, and it seems to have uneven blade exposure that appears closer to the picture on the left. Does that mean that mine is the V1 version?

Hi Neo
The safest to do is snap a photo and send it to Stan by email. My impression is you have a v1 if it looks like the first photo referenced.

Does it shave well for you?

I love it! It cured my RAD and is the only razor system I will ever use. I like it so much that I want to acquire the R & H series plates.

I suspect that Stan is probably annoyed by the version issue so I'd rather not do the pic thing lol. If the old version is uneven and the new version is even, I almost certainly have the old version.

While I have no first-hand knowledge, I also suspect that Stan is not thrilled with this discussion.
As for how to tell the difference, there is no mystery. If the blade edge is parallel to the top cap, it is v2. If not, it is v1.

Yes. The picture in post #70 I would say the S1 has a V1 cap; S2 V2 cap. The text states the opposite though. Ha. Confused yet? :)

So there is no confusion. :) Here is my 2015 S2 version 1 purchased in January. The blade sticks out further on one side more than the other as it relates to the top cap edge. The V2 it will stick out the same across the whole length of the top cap edge.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 112
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 113
Top Bottom