What's new

Fat boy versus Gillette 7Oc green

I had acquired a Fatboy a while ago, and I didn't really like it enough to put into my daily rotation. But I recently switched my daily blade to 7Oc green, after participating in a test, and finding it smoother than my prior favorite, the Personna Med Prep. My daily razor is a Mergress.

So I tried the 7Oc in the Fatboy (mildest setting) and got the worst shave of my life. So much pulling. The furthest from smooth imaginable.

Comments / advice?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A bad blade?

I wasn't impressed with my first FB shave til I changed blades ... then you could hear it.

AA

Are greens reported to be a sharp blade? I have heard they are very mild so you have a very mild blade inside an extreemly mild razor, it makes sence to me that it wouldn't shave well, I'd open the fatboy to 5 as a starting point then reevaluate

Setting 5 works the best for me. Feathers, Personna Blues, Voskhods, 7o'clock Yellows, Polsilvers, Gillette Silver Blues,, just to name a few, were super smooth.
I would suggest taking a good look at your blade angle, and shave prep.

I shave after I shower. A hot washcloth, then some homemade preshave oil. I then lather or load the brush up. Then the hot cloth again, and lather the face. Face lathering seems to work better with soaps, bowl lathering with creams.
I use a shallow angle with the blade, and use as light of pressure as I can. Three passes on the face and lower jaw line, one pass on the neck.
This routine rarely fails me. Bowl lathering can fail me, and bad blades can fail me, but I haven't run into a really bad blade yet.

The blades you listed are very good blades.

I never run my fat boy on 1 (usually 9) but I have noticed looking at it on 1 the blade is bent slightly at the corners this may be your problem. I agree with trying again at 5.

I have found the 7Oc very smooth elsewhere and sharp enough. But I will consider and act upon the suggestions offered, thanks guys.

Top Bottom