What's new

Hello!

Thought I'd 'check in' as newbies do. I found this place via The Handlebar Club Forum as I started growing my hb moustache last year and the next obvious step is to make sure I'm shaving everything else correctly!

I haven't done a great deal of research, so am using a razor that I found easily accessible, affordable and by a trusted brand: Lord Premium Double Edge Safety Razor
I then bought a small supply of 30 Gillette 7 o'clock stainless blades as I'd read they were good to start with.

Due to my fairly slow growth of hair, I've just had my 4th shave with the de razor (and its original Lord blade) after two and half weeks! I'm really enjoying it so far and have had the closest shave of my life with this style of shaving. I guess my only gripe is that it takes me about 25 minutes to shave now, whereas it used to take me about 5 minutes with a cheap electric buzzer, which I'm hoping will come down in time the more I practise.

I suppose the reason I'm on the forum is to learn more about shaving with a safety razor, where to get cheap blades from the UK and maybe a few nice little extras, such as travel cases, storage solutions in the bathroom etc.

I suppose I should also give my background:
I'm a silversmith, so appreciate the more unique and well designed things of the world. I've moved around a bit within England, including Sheffield and London but live in Leicester as it's my hometown and where all of my family reside. I have a lot of hobbies here and there, but seem to float between a lot of them!

Anyway, this is me and hopefully I'll be able to contribute a bit as well as learn.

Apologies for the slightly 'less than happy' appearance I have, this is caused by any form of camera in my own hand!

Welcome! Speed will come with practice. I started out shaving in the evening so I could take my time. These days I can shave in little more time than it used to take with canned goo and a cart. The main variable is the lather. It simply takes a little time for that.

Hello and welcome to B&B. Great to have you here. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Thanks guys, that's a pretty big welcome! What's the hall of fame when it's at home?

Franz, yep, I'm a silversmith. Not sure what the etiquette on giving out my website details are, but if I'm not really trying to sell things here I presume it should be OK?

Welcome! :)

Silversmith sounds like quite a unique occupation. I am not sure about giving out the details, but I too would be interested in seeing what kind of things you make. I assume a safety razor in silver may be both a bit expensive and not particularly practical?

All right me ol' mucka?! (we've got to live up to something for these American fellas!)

Danne, it is a fairly unique occupation but we're stubborn blighters! I can't see why a silver safety razor would be impractical, after all many razors are made of brass and silver isn't much softer. You would get a good weight out of the silver and it'd look awesome!

Top Bottom