What's new

Chubbies !

None, actually. Personally, I don't like the Chubby-style handles as it is quite uncomfortable in hand. I much prefer a longer and slimmer handle. Nonetheless, I love the Chubby 2 Super knots! I have two in custom handles. :001_smile

My Chubby 2's handle split where the knot begins to enter it, after 10 days usage. Has anyone heard of this problem before ?

Ron I

Mike H

Instagram Famous
My Chubby 2's handle split where the knot begins to enter it, after 10 days usage. Has anyone heard of this problem before ?

Ron I

Highly unusual, unless it was dropped. You should contact Simpson directly and see what they say.

+1 I have never heard of this happening before as these handles are very thick and well made.

This split appears to be from the inside, where the bristles go into the handle, to the outside. The way I would describe it is an implosion. I have contacted the vendor and he has contacted Simpson's.

Ron I

I don't know if Thäters really count as "Chubbies," but I have a 4125/3 and 4125/2 that I like a lot - especially the 4125/2.

More squarely in that category is my Rooney Heritage 3XL. Just used it today, in fact.

Handle material is some kind of plastic composite. It's dressed up and colored to look like ivory. Very nice, I'm sure my problem is some kind of fluke.

Ron

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Handle material is some kind of plastic composite. It's dressed up and colored to look like ivory. Very nice, I'm sure my problem is some kind of fluke.n

I can't responsibly speculate about what might have caused your crack. But I'm pretty sure I've also turned handles from the same Alternative Ivory material. I don't know how Simpson goes about making handles. We drill them first, then bore them out to a precise diameter and cut a shallow groove about halfway down the socket wall. Then we mount the work-pieces on solid mandrels to turn the handle shape. I've had one or maybe two handles crack when I was starting out and tried to tap in a mandrel that fit to tightly. I don't mean to suggest that's what happened to yours.

I looked back at the old threads linked above, and I suspect at least some of the references were to vintage handles that become more crack-prone with age.

My guess is yours simply formed a crack for some reason you'll probably never know, and that it slipped out of the factory unnoticed. I'm sure that can happen with any maker.

Last edited:
Chubby 3, Paladin Falstaff, New Forest Tubby.
NF Tubby has the largest handle so far, but the Paladin feels great in the hands.
Cant go wrong with any Chubby's from Simpsons.

Other than Simpsons Chubby , which other brands of this type brush do you like .

Turns out that I really like Simpson's, especially best, but I find the Chubbies both too much and too little.
:001_cool::001_cool::001_cool::001_cool::001_cool::001_cool:

TOO MUCH BADGER for my taste. These are described as a, "wall of badger," for a reason. Unfortunately, I do not like sticking my face into the wall of badger.
:001_cool::001_cool::001_cool::001_cool::001_cool::001_cool:

TOO LITTLE HANDLE for my taste. I like something comfortable to hold onto while working in the bowl or face lathering.

Much prefer the Duke or Fifty series: plenty of badger (not too much), good backbone, and nice handles. But that is me. There are tons of other options.

Top Bottom