What's new

Alternative Shim Experiment

$WP_20150629_12_06_17_Pro.jpg
I recently posted an intro summarizing my first DE razor purchase, a "Tech", and some razor burn I've experienced.
A member suggested it may be too mild for my coarse beard.
I decided on trying to shim it with spent blades, but I remembered I had some gasket paper left over from another project. It's a little thick, tripling the blade gap.
As the pictures show both sides of the blade, it seems to be uniform.
Also notice the blood drops; the Astra blade is still very sharp after 2 sessions. o_O
If it's too aggressive, I'll try some thin silicone tape I have.
I figured it would be much easier than trimming and deburring a spent blade, and wouldn't scratch my razor.
I'm going to give it ago tonight. I'll post my experience.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin$WP_20150629_12_04_14_Pro.jpg

I just used a pair of scissors to trim the edges off an old blade. The metal was thin enough to cut without much effort.

My Gillette Early Tech went from a gap of 0.022in (0.559mm) to 0.025in (0.635mm) with 1 shim and was noticeably more aggressive. I liked it but decided it wasn't for me.

I've done a lot of reading here about irritation and I haven't noticed anyone saying a larger blade gap would help with irritation or razor burn.

In my my experience I get irritation and razor burn from pressing or not paying close attention to my blade angle.

Best of luck,
-Stephen

I've done a lot of reading here about irritation and I haven't noticed anyone saying a larger blade gap would help with irritation or razor burn.

You're hearing it now. There are quite a few of us around that can't seem to use mild razors without getting irritation. Unforunate, but for some of us, very true.

I've been meaning to ask this question; will a ship be necessary to use in my Great Grandpa's original Gillette made in 1912?

Works4Ammo didn't report back after his initial post. Perhaps he'll make another post after being discharged from the hospital after nearly bleeding out from his shave. Hope he realized that the paper shim will absorb water during the shave possibly changing the gap.

I've been meaning to ask this question; will a ship be necessary to use in my Great Grandpa's original Gillette made in 1912?

It is not necessary but it probably is desireable, as one shim more closely approximates the razor and blade geometry at that time. Back then the blades were slightly thicker.

I shim my Old types and find my tough beard gets a more efficient and comfortable shave. YMMV of course.

Top Bottom