What's new

Clubman Special Reserve smells like.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
SHE caught a whiff of the Special Reserve today ... and enthusiastically approved. (Of course.)

SHE has declined to honor Pinaud Clubman, Tabac, the Veg (yeah; me too), various bay rums and other forum holies ... the Special Reserve is indeed a standout and a game-changer. It's that good.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This DOES seem to fall under "cologne" rather than aftershave. I slapped on some mineral oil after to lock in the scent underneath.

AA

Special Reserve is like "Citizen Kane". It's Orson Welles at the height of his creative genius, just old enough to add an undeniable note of dignity and worldliness to the proceedings.

However, if over applied, Special Reserve can morph into Orson Welles, the corpulent Falstaff befuddled by the product while shilling for Paul Masson.

Just be careful.

I vaguely remember someone posting a picture of something called Pinaud Napolean, which was supposed to be the discontinued cologne version of Special Reserve. I would love to find an unused bottle of that at an antique store.

I vaguely remember someone posting a picture of something called Pinaud Napolean, which was supposed to be the discontinued cologne version of Special Reserve. I would love to find an unused bottle of that at an antique store.

I was just looking at that last night. Post #864 in the vintage and unusual aftershaves photos sticky thread. Great looking bottles with one of all purpose lotion and one of cologne.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/149585-Vintage-and-unusual-aftershaves-Post-your-photos?p=7263754#post7263754

...but Special Reserve has a very complex aroma and, within the space of 45 minutes, the smell changes and a cumin-like fragrance takes over. Like all the Pinaud aftershave/colognes I've tried, the fragrance fades fairly quickly -- a wonderful excuse to re-apply, for a little aroma therapy. If you want a scent that's different from every other guy, this is a serious contender.
:euro:

That depends on whether every other guy is also wearing Special Reserve and what the guys who are in between them are wearing! They could be wearing Special Reserve, too! :lol:

I agree with the others here about the manly leathery smell when first applied, but as time passes, it develops into an even more delicious smelling fragrance that lasts longer than any of the other Clubman products. It's the kind of fragrance that one can assume is what attracted Wrangler Jane to Captain Wilton Parmenter and made her crazy about him!
$wp_wj.jpg

It is an old leather scent through and through. As others have said it has to be experienced as no other scent is like it.

It is very reminiscent of something I have smelled in my childhood, and reminds me of old Marines I've known as uncles.

It's very strong and when I wear it I only place a drop behind each ear and that lasts me the whole day.

It conjures images of winners and the victorious but as with all scents the man makes it, the scent doesn't make the man.

Chris

Anyone know of any colognes or EDT's similar in scent?

Rumor has it that Knize's "Ten" is the quintessential leather scented EDT. Unfortunately, there are few places that carry it and even fewer that sell it for a decent price. I have a bottle ordered through Lucky Scent, but have been waiting 2 months now for them to fill it (apparently it's on back order and they are trying to import it into the U.S.).

Tim

Top Bottom