What's new

Anyone else see that Gillette now has a "Shave Club?

just lulz...check it out, guys. Looks like Gillette has finally realized that people are starting to balk at paying $20+++ for a 4-pack of their latest 5-blade monstrosity, so they are now offering their own Shave Club. Obviously, it is still a rip-off since it's still Gillette, but I think it shows that they now realize that the whole "Hell No, we won't pay that much for a pack of cartridges!" movement is gaining momentum in the Western Hemisphere. Anyway, what do you think?

https://www.gilletteshaveclub.com/

And,,,,,they are trying to pass them off as a "up to a months worth of shaves" from a cartridge. Imangine that, the excaliber of shaving cartridges.

I can say while if did tend to use them for more than a week I can't immagine getting 30 shaves out of one. I am so glad I came back to DE

And,,,,,they are trying to pass them off as a "up to a months worth of shaves" from a cartridge.

What I love about that is that Gillette still uses the "indicator" strip, which tells people they need a new cartridge after four shaves. Gillette might need a refresher in the first rule of PR: know your message, and stick to it.

A blog article in the WSJ webpage shows that Gillette's shave club was being launched in April 2014. I see it mentioned here and there. The link you provided shows Gillette Fusion cartridges for $4.50 to $4.90, which is more expensive than the 12-pack at Target. There is absolutely no point in joining, even if you are brand-loyal to Gillette.

What is the point of having the lubrication strip, after the blades? How does this help?

It's a throwback to the older designs of the Atra and Trac II. Unlike the Sensor and later models, which use thin blade strips, the Atra and Trac II use full blades. Only the edges of the blades are exposed; the remainder of the blade body is housed in the plastic "above" the blade edge. This is why there is such a big area of plastic above the blades in those designs. This plastic drags over the skin after the blade edge has already removed the cream/soap/foam, which increases the potential for drag. The lube strip addresses this problem by lubricating in that area.

Once Gillette introduced the Sensor, with its more minimalist design, the lube strip didn't really serve a necessary purpose, since there is only minimal area above the blade. But because the strip had been a big marketing feature for the Atra, it makes sense Gillette would keep it, lest consumers wonder why the company was taking a step "backwards" with the new model. Leave it to Gillette to come up with a way to capitalize on it by having it change colors to tell the user when it's time to change cartridges.

It's a throwback to the older designs of the Atra and Trac II. Unlike the Sensor and later models, which use thin blade strips, the Atra and Trac II use full blades. Only the edges of the blades are exposed; the remainder of the blade body is housed in the plastic "above" the blade edge. This is why there is such a big area of plastic above the blades in those designs. This plastic drags over the skin after the blade edge has already removed the cream/soap/foam, which increases the potential for drag. The lube strip addresses this problem by lubricating in that area.

Once Gillette introduced the Sensor, with its more minimalist design, the lube strip didn't really serve a necessary purpose, since there is only minimal area above the blade. But because the strip had been a big marketing feature for the Atra, it makes sense Gillette would keep it, lest consumers wonder why the company was taking a step "backwards" with the new model. Leave it to Gillette to come up with a way to capitalize on it by having it change colors to tell the user when it's time to change cartridges.

^^^^you know your shaving history, Jerry. I WILL give you that. I always wondered why the atra and trac ii carts were slightly bigger/thicker/bulkier than the super thin Sensor carts.

I always point out the nonsense when the gillette shave club sham/ads show up on my FB feed. Reading comments on the DSC is how I ended up DE shaving and joining B&B

Last edited:
The only reason I use Gillette blades at all in my DE is because they are affordable. It's an old design that is cheap to make and cheap to sell, so I never understand why other old designs don't follow suit? Even Gillette TracII's are at or above two bucks a blade in most places. As old as Sensor's are, their price is right in line with Mach3 yet!

If they would start offering all the various DE blades they license under the Gillette name that are manufactured in other countries, then I would call it a club. We should overwhelm them with emails via the "contact us" area (they only offer an 800 # but an email address shouldn't be too hard to find) asking for the sale of DE blades, too (Silver Blues, the 7 O'Clocks, Polsilvers, etc.). CC's to the top level VP's in charge of merchandising at Proctor & Gamble might help too, with additional requests for a reissuing of the 1950's to 1960's era DE razors manufactured in the USA according to the old specs and made of stainless steel. While they're at it, we could also mention that we want the Original Old Spice, Old Spice Musk and a half dozen other Old Spice scents re-released through the "shave club".

Once they've accomplished that, they could start organize shaving club meetings and singles events for fans of DE shaving and the groupies who love them, like a real club would! The term "club" gets thrown around too loosely these days. I have supermarket club cards and drugstore club cards, yet I've never been invited to one "club" meeting! :lol:

Last edited:
Top Bottom