What's new

Help me find a new pen

My Fountain Pen experience is very limited. I know what I am looking for, but am limited in my knowledge of brands to locate one that I think I will like. I defer to my B&B brethren for their masterful knowledge of all things nib-like.

Some things I am looking for:
Metal barrel construction
Screw on cap
Fine or Medium Nib
Not too fat (thin enough to fit in standard pen sleeves)
Limited or no ornamentation/decoration
Moderate price point (20-30ish?)

Other details with recommendations are always welcome (cartridge/converter info, anecdotal info, etc.)

There you have it, who can help me out with some recommendations?

a Pilot metro looks to be the only pen that will go through the checklist... except I dont think its a screw cap, At double the price you will find some Monteverde pens

jinhao 886 metal pen /screw cap / 5.00 dlls + metropolitan 15.00 dlls = 20.00
pilot 78g 13.00 screw cap but plastic
(886 red/ metropolitan blue )

Attachments

• $img_20150226_0855012.jpg
    $img_20150226_0855012.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
By 'pen sleeves,' do you mean on an ACU military blouse top, which refuses to take even a G2? It's like they were designed for Skillcraft.

If so, *let me know*; I've got a few ideas for you, but most of what I bring to work is at a lower price point so I don't feel badly when I lose `em.

By 'pen sleeves,' do you mean on an ACU military blouse top, which refuses to take even a G2? It's like they were designed for Skillcraft.

If so, *let me know*; I've got a few ideas for you, but most of what I bring to work is at a lower price point so I don't feel badly when I lose `em.

The problem with ACU sleeves is they are never the same size! A pen can fit in one, but not the other... you can have three on the same coat and not one of them will be the same size, or you can get a sleeve with all of them perfectly uniform.

I wouldn't mind a nice pen in my sleeve when I am in uniform, but like you I tend to keep the price point low on those (Sharpie Pens). I find myself in a suit more often than not, and I have a pen sleeve outside my breast pocket. I can't imagine many pens not fitting in it, but I think I am used to the mentality, like you, that it may not fit in my uniform...

I am more than happy to hear your suggestions.

Looking at the Goulets, the Jinhao 159 is probably the closest you'll get - if you're okay with a Chinese-made fountain pen from a quality perspective. I'm not sure that the pen is thin enough. Otherwise you're looking at having to scrap one of the requirements.

Also: xfountainpens has the Nemosine Neutrino and the Nemosine Fission, which appear to match the requirements. I had a Singularity and it was okay, nothing home to write about (pun not intended).

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The problem with ACU sleeves is they are never the same size! A pen can fit in one, but not the other... you can have three on the same coat and not one of them will be the same size, or you can get a sleeve with all of them perfectly uniform.

You mean the sleeves are not ... uniform??

:001_rolle

Check out the Franklin-Christoph pen that was the B&B "essential" model a little while ago. It seems to meet your criteria, although I think it's about $80 ... so more than you really want to pay. But I'm going to say it is pretty slim compared to a lot of other pens so maybe it fits the sleeve ... hopefully some of our B&B brethren both have the pen and use it in that uniform.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The Nemosine Fission is a pretty stout pen, heavy and probably too thick for a narrow pen sleeve. It's built like a tank! Not only does the cap screw on, it screws on when posted as well!

I ended up making a purchase of a Pilot Metropolitan and a Monteverde Invicta.

I know the Metropolitan comes with a converter, does anyone know if the Invicta does?

+1 for monteverde invincia.
I have the discontinues monteverde invincia deluxe "nighthawk" that was a Goulet exclusive. Wonderful pen!! I use a 1,1 mm stub in mine but all the monteverde nibs are great!!!
Not positive if the invincia and invincia deluxe are the same pens, but I have the deluxe and its an absolute joy to write with.
On a side not it sat with herbin lierre sauvage in it for a year and wrote, although darker, on the first try that I picked it up!!

I ended up making a purchase of a Pilot Metropolitan and a Monteverde Invicta.

I know the Metropolitan comes with a converter, does anyone know if the Invicta does?

Invicta or invincia?
Never heard of the invicta but I've been out of the loop...
Should come with a converter. Most the invincia have some sort of carbon fiber look to them.
You will live both pens!!!
I'd keep the invicta (?) In a sleeve...

My Fountain Pen experience is very limited. I know what I am looking for, but am limited in my knowledge of brands to locate one that I think I will like. I defer to my B&B brethren for their masterful knowledge of all things nib-like.

Some things I am looking for:
Metal barrel construction
Screw on cap
Fine or Medium Nib
Not too fat (thin enough to fit in standard pen sleeves)
Limited or no ornamentation/decoration
Moderate price point (20-30ish?)

Other details with recommendations are always welcome (cartridge/converter info, anecdotal info, etc.)

There you have it, who can help me out with some recommendations?

Your pen will fit into the single "slip" sleeve that Goulet sells. The leather one.

Ok, I'm ignoring all of your prerequisites.

Buy a pilot vanishing point! It's totally out is the price range you stipulated, does have a metal barrel, and doesn't even have a cap!

I love mine. I may never buy another pen....

Invicta or invincia?
Never heard of the invicta but I've been out of the loop...
Should come with a converter. Most the invincia have some sort of carbon fiber look to them.
You will live both pens!!!
I'd keep the invicta (?) In a sleeve...

It's definitely Invincia. Whoops.

My Metro has already had an accident bending the tines to an almost 90 degree angle... on the brighter side the ink explosion that accompanied the drop was fairly minimal...

:blushing:

Top Bottom