What's new

Shoe Advice

Hello There my fellow Badger & Blade friends.

*for those who do not want the full backstory, the question is in the end paragraph*

I am posting because it has come to my attention that I am in serious need of some new shoes. This is not to say that I was unaware, but my current pair of new balance are wearing out and the need for a new pair of shoes is looming on the not too distant horizon. (I know Newbalance provides the comfort, but they only last a few months and are still not cheap per se)

I am a nurse, and often times work 17 hour shifts where I do a lot of walking(often 20k+ steps). Comfort up until this point has taken priority because I haven't been able to afford anything that was both comfortable and nice. I'm finally at a point where it feels like I would be able to afford a pair of nice shoes/boots.

As a nurse I want to have a professional appearance, but as I said new balance are acceptable attire so dress code isn't really a hindrance. I always wear Carhartt Men's Blended Twill Work Chino to work because they're the only "professional" looking pants that can take the beating that my work gives it. I know that they're not really professional, but it's the best compromise I could find. Those pants, combined with my uniform "white jacket" are constant in my workplace uniform, and they could probably look better if accompanied by a better pair of shoes.

So finally the question. I've fallen in love with the rumors of comfort that redwing is said to have, and how they (specifically the iron ranger, gentleman traveler, and blacksmith) look. My dad though, says that Danner's are the most comfortable he's ever had, but he trims trees, so our requirements aren't exactly the same between our careers. Can anyone give benefit\detriment ideas for the two brands? or between the redwing models? do they allow for a tall instep? This week I'll go to a few stores and try some on, but I wanted to get some input from people who've been here before. (PS...ive heard of the wolverine 10k, but are there any others that are comfortable and stylish that will last?)

What line of NB do you wear. I love my AllenEdmonds, but for walking on concrete or hard floors all day, nothing will beat the NB 991 line of shoes. They have an incredible amount of cushion. I only wore 991s when I worked at a sporting goods store and walked on hard floors all day

Same for RW iron ranger and the 1000k boots. They are great footwear, but I doubt they would be comfortable over that long of a shift on hard floors.

If you are looking to step up your footwear, it might be worth looking into the Allen Edmonds Road Warrior line. That might give you the style and comfort needed over a long shift on hard floors.

Last edited:
Without going further into your choice of shoes, I would simply suggest that you budget to buy 2 pairs and rotate them. Shoes take quite a while to dry between wearings and it is much healthier for your feet and for your shoes if you do not wear the same pair day after day after day...

What line of NB do you wear. I love my AllenEdmonds, but for walking on concrete or hard floors all day, nothing will beat the NB 991 line of shoes. They have an incredible amount of cushion. I only wore 991s when I worked at a sporting goods store and walked on hard floors all day

Same for RW iron ranger and the 1000k boots. They are great footwear, but I doubt they would be comfortable over that long of a shift on hard floors.

If you are looking to step up your footwear, it might be worth looking into the Allen Edmonds Road Warrior line. That might give you the style and comfort needed over a long shift on hard floors.
walking on concrete floors, it's like you read my mind! that's all I do at work, except there are short periods I get to stand on hard rubber mats. I don't recall what my black newbalances are, but the ones I prefer are 1122 but they went out of production. do we know if the road warrior line is in production? my feet are sized nontraditionally and i'll need to try them on I'm sure.

Without going further into your choice of shoes, I would simply suggest that you budget to buy 2 pairs and rotate them. Shoes take quite a while to dry between wearings and it is much healthier for your feet and for your shoes if you do not wear the same pair day after day after day...

Yeah, I've been doing that, though maybe not as faithfully as I should. I have one pair of newbalances that are still good, but probably not for much longer either :(

Yeah, I've been doing that, though maybe not as faithfully as I should. I have one pair of newbalances that are still good, but probably not for much longer either :(

Yep, that's one of the two things you can do that really make a difference to the life of your shoes - two pairs worn alternately really do last longer than wearing one pair exclusively until it wears out.

The other thing is to put wooden shoes trees in the pair not being worn. As well as helping keep the shape, they draw moisture out of the shoes rather than letting them just dry out to leave all the nasty smelliness behind. Some people would only use trees in dress shoes, but in my experience they work in everything, including trainers - I even use them in my slippers. They don't have to be expensive, as long as they're unvarnished wood - my trees cost around $20 a pair, and for two pairs of shoes you can get away with one pair of trees.

(PS: Sorry I can't help with the actual shoes - and much respect for the job you do)

Alan

Just a thought, but how about Doc Marten shoes? When we do trade shows and have the be on our feet for hours, they are a godsend. I try to walk 10k paces a day, and have the for life shoes.

I also rotate my shoes a lot and only buy cotton or wool socks.

Respect to the job you do.

The LOML is a nurse and she swears by Dansko. They have a men's line but not sure how they would look with chinos (she wears her's with scrubs).

Yep, that's one of the two things you can do that really make a difference to the life of your shoes - two pairs worn alternately really do last longer than wearing one pair exclusively until it wears out.

The other thing is to put wooden shoes trees in the pair not being worn. As well as helping keep the shape, they draw moisture out of the shoes rather than letting them just dry out to leave all the nasty smelliness behind. Some people would only use trees in dress shoes, but in my experience they work in everything, including trainers - I even use them in my slippers. They don't have to be expensive, as long as they're unvarnished wood - my trees cost around $20 a pair, and for two pairs of shoes you can get away with one pair of trees.

(PS: Sorry I can't help with the actual shoes - and much respect for the job you do)

Alan
So when shopping for a shoe tree, is there anything a person should look for, or try to avoid? I've never given them much thought, but you seem to make a good argument for their use. I just thought they were to help keep the shape of the shoe...or to keep moths away if they're cedar :)

Thanks by the way, it's amazing the difference that public opinion has changed since i began going to school and it's only been a few years. I don't get "but you're a guy, you can't be a nurse" so much anymore. +1

Just a thought, but how about Doc Marten shoes? When we do trade shows and have the be on our feet for hours, they are a godsend. I try to walk 10k paces a day, and have the for life shoes.

I also rotate my shoes a lot and only buy cotton or wool socks.

Respect to the job you do.

I used to be a big Dr. Marten fan, but there was something about them selling their company and their product went to pot in my experience. I tried several pairs of boots, shoes, and sandals, but the sole of the shoe ended up…Sinking? One of my heels was about ¼ to ½ an inch lower inside one boot than the other after about 3 months. The sole of my sandal began imitating pac-man after a couple months, and the shoes fit pretty well, but looked weird on my feet. My feet are like barney rubble, so I can’t blame them in any way J

The LOML is a nurse and she swears by Dansko. They have a men's line but not sure how they would look with chinos (she wears her's with scrubs).

I’ve tried Dansko, but my instep is too tall for them to work properly. Every nurse I’ve talked to said they’re a godsend, but they ended up causing excruciating pain, even though they didn’t feel like they should. On paper, other than how ugly they are, they’re the perfect nursing shoe.

I do not own, but have heard others report that Mephisto makes all-day comfortable and long lasting shoes.

Hmmmm, I’ll have to look into those, I’ve heard a little that they’re supposed to be good, but never heard much about them. There are a few pairs that I’ve thought looked really nice.

P.S. I had never heard about the Dr. Marten for life line, that's fairly amazing. have you had any experience using that program?

So when shopping for a shoe tree, is there anything a person should look for, or try to avoid? I've never given them much thought, but you seem to make a good argument for their use. I just thought they were to help keep the shape of the shoe...or to keep moths away if they're cedar :)

I'd suggest looking for something like these...

$tree.jpg

There are plenty of them on eBay, so just find someone selling your size at a good price (but be careful that quite a few sellers ship from China, so that could add costs or delays).

Alan

I'd suggest looking for something like these...
Alan

Thanks! I’ll have to pick up a pair or two.

Check out Solovair instead.

http://www.solovair.co.uk/

Wow, those look pretty good. Do they ship to N. America yet? Buy a pair section just kept bringing me to the page that says to try and look at “find a vender near you” or however it was stated. Also, does the construction of these boots differ much from that of Dr. Marten?

Where is Issac when we need him? He's also a nurse who likes good shoes.

I don’t know, but this issac fellow sounds like a pretty cool chap!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I do not own, but have heard others report that Mephisto makes all-day comfortable and long lasting shoes.

True!! I have a pair of their sandals and they are heavenly. My late father with a lot of back problems only wore Mephisto shoes in his last years as they seemed to give him quite a relief from his back issues. Was not thinking about them, but I think they would be the perfect shoe for a nurse, many of their models come in white - which I see often to be the preference of the nursing staff.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wow, those look pretty good. Do they ship to N. America yet? Buy a pair section just kept bringing me to the page that says to try and look at “find a vender near you” or however it was stated. Also, does the construction of these boots differ much from that of Dr. Marten?

Well, I think this is the same factory that used to make the original Doc Martens back in the day, so their "Doc" models should be pretty authentic.

No idea about the shipping. ... edit ... check this out ... http://www.solovairstore.co.uk/

Last edited:
Alternating pairs is a great idea. You might also consider RedWing Postman shoes. Comfortable for standing all day IMO.

Spent most of my life on my feet in commercial kitchens. Worn them all...Diehards (when they were good), Knapp (when they were good), Docs, sneakers, workboots, etc. Now..I really like Dansko Laceups. I hear the clogs are great as well but they are not for me.
The laceups are about 125 so buy two pairs. You really need to rotate shoes when you are in them for 10 plus hours.

Top Bottom