What's new

Gillette's Upcoming Invention

How is that possible? I just left the cartridge world a couple of weeks ago, but I was using Mach 3s (home) and Schick Quattros (travel kit) and I would change my cartridge maybe once a month - and then, only because I just felt like I was "supposed to." So far, I haven't been testing the longevity of DE blades 'cause I got a big sample pack and I'm just trying each type for 3 shaves or so before moving one. But, I can't imagine that a DE blade will last me a month - much less 2 or more months.

I think you, and many BnB members, are not particularly representative of the general American shaver market. I think most American men that shave do so using cartridges and WOULD prefer a shorter/simpler morning routine.

I'm only 2 weeks in, but my morning routine has only changed in one way - using a vintage Adjustable, instead of a Mach 3. Still shave in the shower. Still use bar soap to lather my face. I AM taking longer now, and getting a better shave. But, I believe (and will test to confirm, at some point), that if I switched back to my M3 and spent as much time, and used the same (new-to-me) tactics of shaving XTG and ATG, I would get just as good a shave. I never did that before because I was taught to never shave ATG. It was only reading here that I really learned that going these other directions would be fine and not actually cause all ingrown hairs that I had been told they would.

I'm just in it for the reduced operating costs. $8 for a one year supply of Dorco 301s "feels" way better to me than a year's supply of M3 cartridges (even though that's only 12 or less cartridges). Even the less-close shave I was getting before with one pass of an M3 gave me a shave I was totally content with.

You're right of course. My wife likes my clean shaves, and so is biased. But I realize we're breathing thin air when it comes to the pleasure of using a vintage Fatboy on a freshly lathered face. If one can't get a good shave in 2 minutes (a little stubble is fashionable after all, right?) what's the fuss about? Let's see...shaving with DE blades nearly 50 years...I must be biased also! :laugh:

Whats next? Gillette's new Fusion handle with two testicles for extra cream?:lol: Step 1: Push. Step 2: pull. Step 3: RELEASE!!!!!!

lol it's just a joke. The meaning is it doesn't matter what they invent people will always buy it. Gillette always compare their newest product to their oldest and tell people that the newest is better then the older one. Basically they're telling people "hey guys the product we sold you is crap, instead try our newest product" couple months later they say the same.

I just re-read the classic Onion parody that predicted, two years before it happened, what Gillette's response would be to the Quattro: a five-blade razor. In 2004, it seemed absurd. In 2006, it became prophetic.

Now, this passage jumped out at me in a way it hadn't before.

Put another aloe strip on that [expletive], too. That's right. Five blades, two strips, and make the second one lather. You heard me—the second strip lathers. It's a whole new way to think about shaving.

The parody just keeps getting more and more clairvoyant.

Top Bottom