What's new

Caffinated shave cream

Was walking through Target is saw this:

$caffeinated_shaving_cream__55266.1417573013.600.600.jpg

I love coffee, I need lots of coffee.

Anyone try this? I'm more of a soap guy so I may have missed any chatter about this.

I love coffee, I need lots of coffee.

I'm curious why those of you who love coffee or caffeine think you'd like caffeinated shaving cream. The purpose of topically applied caffeine is to constrict blood vessels, which in theory helps to reduce inflammation. It's got nothing to do with stimulation of the central nervous system, as orally ingested caffeine does, to say nothing of the aromatics of actual coffee.

I haven't tried this specific cream, but I have used other cosmetics that contain caffeine, and I can't say the caffeine did all that much.

For more info, see here.

I'm curious why those of you who love coffee or caffeine think you'd like caffeinated shaving cream. The purpose of topically applied caffeine is to constrict blood vessels, which in theory helps to reduce inflammation. It's got nothing to do with stimulation of the central nervous system, as orally ingested caffeine does, to say nothing of the aromatics of actual coffee.

I haven't tried this specific cream, but I have used other cosmetics that contain caffeine, and I can't say the caffeine did all that much.

For more info, see here.

you trying to take the fun out of this?? :mad3:

you trying to take the fun out of this?? :mad3:

Just trying to help, actually. There have already been several threads on this cream already, and some members actually thought the purpose of the caffeine was to give a wake-up kick, much like coffee. It didn't seem unreasonable to think that you might have thought the same thing.

Definitely doesn't wake you up, but after using its sister product, I now like caffeine on my skin.

The shaving cream was 'fine'...didn't use it long enough to see if it had a positive effect on my skin. This company does make a caffeinated aftershave lotion which is great. At first it was a bit 'greasy' for my taste, I always used Gillette or neutrogena balm, but once I dialed in the amount I was using, it felt great...now generally a daily part of my routine and I think the caffeine makes a difference on my face.

I've used the caffeinated cream a couple of times now, and I don't know if it's my technique or what (I am new to wet shaving), but the cream doesn't seem to produce much lather. I guess it makes sense since it's an inexpensive cream, but it also is relatively thin and doesn't seem like it would be that protective. The scent is disappointing too, smells like spearmint gum. Don't get me wrong, I understand that if you're paying $5 for a cream you're not going to get a complex scent (all though Barbasol Soothing Aloe is inexpensive too, but that has a nice, cologne-esque scent), and it's not going to compete with high-end creams. I'd just rather spend a few more dollars and get a better product. Probably the only reason to pick it up is if you can find it locally. I got mine in Publix, where I also found the Van der Hagen deluxe soap (which I've yet to use). I'll certainly use it up, but I don't know that I'll buy it again.

Last edited:

For more info, see here.

This is also what I read in a recent article regarding the usefulness of these products. Apparently women have been using caffeine products for a long while.

Well, guys, after my first two failed attempts to produce a serviceable lather, after my evening shave tonight, I decided to do a test lather in all my frustration. The results were amazing. With two small dabs of cream into my brush, I produced a monster of a storm. Honestly, I don't know what I did differently this time. I squeezed the water out of my Plisson synthetic like I had in the past and added water little by little until I got an explosion of lather. Didn't get to shave with it, but I was very impressed with the lather. I need to come back to this cream and give it another try.
$20150629_215231.jpg$20150629_215731.jpg$20150629_220026.jpg

Attachments

• $20150629_215731.jpg
    $20150629_215731.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 149
I picked some up a few weeks back. I was impressed with the performance but really thought the menthol was gimmicky.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK, now that (photo) was helpful.

I too tried both; thought the cream was one of the popular-but-clogging "shave butter" style creams ... did not like. Seeing that, will whip it like a government mule and see what happens.

The after shave is really not bad; has decent ingredients. Don't *really* care for the smell, which is automatically associated with chewing gum in my mind.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OK, this stuff DOES whip up nice in a bowl; produced a wonderful shave.

Which goes to show; face lathering vs. bowl .... unless you scrub your face like it's a dirty hubcap, the bowl seems to reign supreme. At least with this product.

AA

I bought a tube of it; it's ok. Not great, but not horrible, either. I think I'm going to end up gifting it to my dad, since he's shaving with a bar of Irish Spring soap :blink: (He claims the canned goo he's got doesn't work well for him). He also doesn't believe in using a brush, just applying from his hands, so this stuff might work better for him.

As for slickness, well...It's ok. Nice lather, but my Col Conk soaps have a slicker feel to them than this stuff. But, for $3.50? I'd use it again vs. a can of Gillette Foamy...

Top Bottom