What's new

How do you Beat the Heat?

Bump.

We've had four days in a row of temps above 85F ... and this is immediately following last week when it was in the 50s.
After a fairly mild Winter season, Summer seems to be coming in with a vengeance ... and its going to be a lot worse before it gets better.

So I thought I would revive this thread and see if anybody has anything nes to say.
If not, at least re-reading some of the old ideas might be helpful to keep everyone more comfortable as the heat increases.

Yesterday was the coldest morning this year so far as I enter winter. It was very had to drag my butt out of bed to get my stuff togeather then drive 3 hours for roller derby

glass of slightly chilled chardonnay.

$wine 4112.jpg

My wife got one of those towel thingies, I tried it out, and it worked real well. Forgot all about it. I should use it when working in the yard.

Ice cold beer. This kind of weather just begs for a Coleman cooler packed to the brim with ice and cans of Stroh's.

(After the work for the day is done)

Bump.

We've had four days in a row of temps above 85F ... and this is immediately following last week when it was in the 50s.
After a fairly mild Winter season, Summer seems to be coming in with a vengeance ... and its going to be a lot worse before it gets better.

So I thought I would revive this thread and see if anybody has anything nes to say.
If not, at least re-reading some of the old ideas might be helpful to keep everyone more comfortable as the heat increases.

We've had 4 days of record breakers above 110° here in Phoenix.

I wear body armor and a heavy wool uniform, then work inside the jail where it is in the 80s with 80% humidity. About the only relief for us is body talc. Lots and lots of talc. Clubman and Gold Bond seem to be the top two choices. Briefing smells like a barbershop, yet I'm the only wet shaver there. 12.5 hours later when the shift is over peeling to body armor off is heavenly, peeling the dripping t-shirt off is even better.

Use a combo of the gel pellet neck wraps and a micro fiber towel when fishing or doing yard work. Both items need frequent refreshing, the gel pellet wrap works best if I remember to flip it over every 15 minutes or so.
Do you wear one of those ribbed vented shirts under the body armor? The dripping t-shirt does not sound good.
RVU coolmax

Last edited:
I have Central AC in my house, but the compressor is about 10 years old and doesn't sound too healthy. I worry constantly that it might break down, and when that happens, I can't afford to replace it. When that time comes, I will probably just get a window AC unit for my bedroom and leave the rest of the house to cool with the ceiling fans.

My wife and I did something similar when we first married. Problem is that window units can use a surprising amount of electricity. When we moved into a home with central heating and cooling, I was amazed that our electric bill was lower. This is huge YMMV territory, so just throwing that out as a nasty possibility.

We've had 4 days of record breakers above 110° here in Phoenix.

But it's a dry heat? Seriously: I remember some droughts where it didn't feel all that terrible in the upper 90s. However, that was after 100+ temperatures, so it felt like it cooled off. Once it rained, though, hoo boy.

Taking notes here. Used to work construction and on the farm in the summer, with nary a shade. Best we could do was drink water and acclimatize ourselves. Now it's worse. Flame retardant clothing sufficient to protect from arc flash; hard hat; rubber sleeves; rubber gloves; and overshoes, with nary a shade. Best we can do is to drink water and acclimatize.

At home, it's a wide brimmed beach straw hat, drink water, and pace myself. Have wondered about a real pith helmet soaked in water before wearing, but to be honest one would look odd around here, and don't see where it would cool any better than a hard hat, and have less head protection. Not that I need that all the time at home.

Wipe my forehead with rubbing alcohol (I use the 91%). It cleans the grime of the day out of my pores, and the increased volatility (compared to water) means it cools very quickly. Sometimes, a sprinkle of Gold Bond as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Cooling Towels

This, but don't put it away wet- mold.

Hat. Make sure it's light in color, or lighter than your hair (albedo effect).

Hydrate.

Soak through all your clothes anyways and wish for October.

and use Osage Rub liberally! Splash over head after lawn work.

AA

Last edited:
This, but don't put it away wet- mold.

Hat. Make sure it's light in color, or lighter than your hair (albedo effect).

Hydrate.

Soak through all your clothes anyways and wish for October.

and use Osage Rub liberally! Splash over head after lawn work.

AA

Actually, you have to it slightly wet or it cracks. I store it damp in an opened ziploc in my refrigerator door. Also periodically wash in cold water and baking soda solution.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Right? There is a trick to it.

Had to clean mine with vinegar or something; let it dry now before capping the tube.

AA

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
dpm:
Why, try to stay indoors w/ the A/C and/or in the shade of course! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Ah, summer [heat]...what power you have to make us suffer and like it". Russell Baker

Top Bottom