What's new

hair in knots in WD silvertip :S

so just got my brush today and I finished cleaning it witht the oxi clean and did used it on my soap and did a test lather as part of getting scent out. and after just one use the center hairs are all in knots and theres a hole in the top :(

what can I do or is it just ruined?

also why did it happen.

after it dried for a while

Last edited:
will do. so this isn't normal for badger brushes? I don't think I've seen any pictures like this someone on here said this happen to their high mountain wd, which is why I went for the silvertip instead. maybe badgers are only for bowl lathering?

I've only used boars and they've never got tangled.

sad because it seemed really soft to the touch more then boars are.

Last edited:
My WD Silvertip does not look anything like that, and I have been facelathering with it for almost a month now.

It looks like you used far too much pressure and smashed the knot down. It will probably be fine if you use it gently.

If it looked fine when you got it, before you did your cleaning and it looks like that now...there are two scenarios.

a) You mashed it, used too much cleaner or pressure and destroyed it. If that's the case, you would have seen a lot of hair falling out during the cleaning process.
b) It's just tangled and if you gently comb it (dry), the hair will untangle and it's fine.

Any brush can look like this if I was to mash my thumb in it and you'd think it was ruined if I took a pic and posted. WD's are not overly dense, so it's likely just tangled and out of place.

Another thought is: If after reading a couple days of replies, you are still convinced your brush is defective, email a photo to Larry and ask for his opinion.

I mashed my WD Silvertip and got a knot while trying to break it in. I used a mustache comb to comb out the knot. Took less than 5 minutes. Broke 3 or 4 hairs in the process. Knot gone and brush is wonderful now. I love it.

I'll echo others and say that I face lather with a standard loft 30mm silvertip and I've had not issues with either the cleaning or lathering processes.

A brush shouldn't look like that after one use, even if you mash it. Larry should provide a replacement for you.

all I did is provide enough pressure for the brush to fan out. it keeps trying to tangle from any movement be it circular or back and forth. I didn't think badgers were suppose to be used like paint brushes. I see people spaying there's out on their face in videos.

I don't force-splay a brush, in particular a new one. Just enough pressure to ease it into a measure of splay, and desist if there is enough resistance from the brush.
Depending on the loft, some splay easier than others

all I did is provide enough pressure for the brush to fan out. it keeps trying to tangle from any movement be it circular or back and forth. I didn't think badgers were suppose to be used like paint brushes. I see people spaying there's out on their face in videos.
I use badgers and boars the same way. Circular to start the lather on my face, then paint strokes to finish it off.

Have you tried rinsing it I under the tap, flicking/squeeze the water out at the base of the knot and a few paint strokes on a towel to dry it off. See if it comes back naturally but if not, let it dry and then comb it out.

is that normal? or is it still trying to tangle?

after rinsing and combing it more and drying

it looks a lot better I can still see a spot where they might be a knot or just less hair but its looks good enough. but spot instead of hole is a lot better. most people probably wouldn't notice it. I tend to notice fine details(it's a pain)
might even just be some hairs that are shorter in that area.

I hope it don't get tangled again. Its super soft and make great lather

I use badgers and boars the same way. Circular to start the lather on my face, then paint strokes to finish it off.

Have you tried rinsing it I under the tap, flicking/squeeze the water out at the base of the knot and a few paint strokes on a towel to dry it off. See if it comes back naturally but if not, let it dry and then comb it out.

yeah thats how I do it too. hopefully it holds up to the same use. I love how soft it is. going eat then I'll go shave with it and see if it comes back natural.

is that normal? or is it still trying to tangle?

after rinsing and combing it more and drying

it looks a lot better I can still see a spot where they might be a knot or just less hair but its looks good enough. but spot instead of hole is a lot better. most people probably wouldn't notice it. I tend to notice fine details(it's a pain)
might even just be some hairs that are shorter in that area.

I hope it don't get tangled again. Its super soft and make great lather

That's roughly not mine looks. I had problems with my first WD tangling, and I'm about 90% sure I was mashing it too hard against my face. Sort of a bonehead thing to do, but it was my first badger brush and I didn't know any better. You can comb out the tangles for the most part, and just be a bit less forceful with the splay. I haven't had much of a problem since.

As has already been said, contact Larry. He's a great guy that will make it right.

Yes he is, but it's not his problem if the OP mashed his brush or damaged it somehow. I'm not saying he did, but the new pics look normal to me and appears to be fixed.

Top Bottom