What's new

hair in knots in WD silvertip :S

I just got my first WD silvertip 24/52 about two weeks ago and this exact same thing happened to me. i let it dry and picked the knots out with a toothpick. I did not think i was pressing it too hard on my face when lathering, but the hairs swirled up like yours in the picture. I was wondering if this was normal as well and if it happens to other silvertip brushes. please let us know what Larry says, Thanks.

I'm guessing yes, but I never used the cleaner that came with my WD.

A couple test lathers is all that is needed to get the funk out.

I might have done it too much maybe? I did it till most the smell was gone so like 4-5 times. then used my mens 2 in one shampoo on it.

(space for picture)

there looked to be some small knots forming after use. so I combed it out again. perhaps I'll just have to keep the comb in with my brushes now and add combing to the clean up before drying it.

here it is next to my omega 11575

(space for pictures)

going have to try to add pictures later photobucket is messing up and not actually resizing the photos.

brucered

System Generated
Hopefully it won't knot again. You shouldn't need to comb it regularly. I can't remember ever having to comb mine.

Maybe it had a few twisted hairs or it was a once only thing.

I just got my first WD silvertip 24/52 about two weeks ago and this exact same thing happened to me. i let it dry and picked the knots out with a toothpick. I did not think i was pressing it too hard on my face when lathering, but the hairs swirled up like yours in the picture. I was wondering if this was normal as well and if it happens to other silvertip brushes. please let us know what Larry says, Thanks.

How has your been since then?

he said to wash it again and then use conditioner and comb them out. which I did, I'm going keep watching it for knots trying to form.

makes great lather though and is soft.

will do. so this isn't normal for badger brushes? I don't think I've seen any pictures like this someone on here said this happen to their high mountain wd, which is why I went for the silvertip instead. maybe badgers are only for bowl lathering?

I've only used boars and they've never got tangled.

sad because it seemed really soft to the touch more then boars are.

That was my WD high mountain that would do that. When I lathered it like my silvertip or synthetic, the center looked like a nasty dreadlock.

How has your been since then?

he said to wash it again and then use conditioner and comb them out. which I did, I'm going keep watching it for knots trying to form.

makes great lather though and is soft.

My brush has been fine since, but I've only been bowl lathering and trying not to put too much pressure on it when i do. I am scared to face lather with it as it might knot up again. Agree that it still makes great lather and is very soft.

I've never had that problem with my reknotted WD 22 x 50 silvertip. I bowl-lather, but I don't just paint the lather on: I sort of face-lather it on. Best of both worlds. Maybe I am just lucky with my knot. I'm really pleased with it (and Larry's service.)

I used a silver tip for about two months before Larry replaced it due to it being a constant shedder. I was not gentle with it, albeit, nor was i rough. Never had any tangling problems.

New replacement brush is just like my other one, but not shedding. No problems with tangles. Like Vespasian, I bowl lather, followed by a face lather.

well update. I use it in a rotation of 3 brushes. every time it gets tangled and I have to comb it out which like today pulls out like 5-10 hairs. on top of finding 4-5 hairs in the lather on my face before combing it. its frustrating me watching this $35 brush slowly die, and ruining whats suppose to be a relaxing shave when i look into the brush and see it tangled. this doesn't happen with my boar brushes. is this a badger thing, does everyone comb their badger brushes every day like I've had to. how do you prevent it from pulling out the tangled hairs ? :( I could got 4 more boar brushes.

just ordered a pure satin synthetic that is suppose to be soft and good. hopeful I can get softness without tangles form it.

just going stop using the badger before it gets even worse. shame because it's so soft and like the handle.

its fine if used only as a paint bush i guess, but how do you loads and make lather with just paining motions. i swirl on the puck just like I see everyone do on videos then swirl on face to build lather. the boars do this fine and don't tangle. :(

well update. I use it in a rotation of 3 brushes. every time it gets tangled and I have to comb it out which like today pulls out like 5-10 hairs. on top of finding 4-5 hairs in the lather on my face before combing it. its frustrating me watching this $35 brush slowly die, and ruining whats suppose to be a relaxing shave when i look into the brush and see it tangled. this doesn't happen with my boar brushes. is this a badger thing, does everyone comb their badger brushes every day like I've had to. how do you prevent it from pulling out the tangled hairs ? :( I could got 4 more boar brushes.

just ordered a pure satin synthetic that is suppose to be soft and good. hopeful I can get softness without tangles form it.

just going stop using the badger before it gets even worse. shame because it's so soft and like the handle.

its fine if used only as a paint bush i guess, but how do you loads and make lather with just paining motions. i swirl on the puck just like I see everyone do on videos then swirl on face to build lather. the boars do this fine and don't tangle. :(

It's not a badger thing; it's likely a 'too much pressure thing" with your technique. I have over 50 badger brushes ranging from uber dense stiff brushes (Rooney finest, Simpsons Chubby, Shavemac D01) to quite loose and soft (Kent BK4, TGN Silvertip Grade A, Frank Shaving Silvertip,) and I face lather them all and have never tangled one. The only brush I've ever tangled is a zero backbone goat hair brush. You **can** tangle badger if you press hard enough while swirling to bend the hair tips back upon the rest of the hair shaft while swirling - be it on your face or in a bowl. You do not and should not apply so much pressure. The splay you are aiming for is enough to get the knot to expand to hold/release lather, but not so much to substantially flatten the knot on your face. If you are used to a stiff boar (I have plenty of these as well,) you'll need to recalibrate your pressure since due to the stiffness and thickness of boar, they spay much less and are essentially impossible to tangle. Whether your current brush can be salvaged depends on how tangled it is and how much hair you have to break to comb it out. However, unless you focus on purchasing a stiffer, denser badger (think Pure, 2-band, and/or Simpsons, Shavemac) you are likely going to have the same problem with another badger brush. Give it a shot doing exactly what you have been doing, but consciously applying 25% to 50% of the pressure and I'll bet you'll be surprised at how well it works.

I have edited my pressure a lot from my boars. if I use any less it won't be splaying at all and I'll just be using the tip of it like a paint brush. what use is a brush if you can't splay it out.

seem to be using a lot less splay and pressure then I see others do on videos. some press it all the way down and swirl. I'm probably only pressing like 25% or less just enough to get it to splay a little

Last edited:

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I have a new 24 mm Silvertip WD that I used for the first time yesterday. I did notice that the middle of the brush was pretty well mashed down by the end of my shave. I was a little concerned, but when I rinsed it out, and gave it a vigorous shake to expel the excess water, the brush returned to its natural form.

But I have been thinking about it, and will keep an eye on it. Then I read this thread just now, which will make me keep even more of watch on it.

Also, this is the absolute smelliest brush I have ever used. I have quite a few badgers and boars, and none of them smelled even remotely as bad as this one. I shampooed it and soaked it before use, so I am not sure why it smelled so bad. Now I know why they call it Whipped Dog. Wet Dog may be more appropriate for this particular brush. I havent tried the packet of oxi-clean included with the brush, but I think i will use it now.

I am sure once this bad boy breaks in properly, both the smell and the brush shape will get where they need to be. I have another WD brush which I love, and is fast becoming my #1 brush. So i am sure this one will get some love for sure. And yes, Larry is wonderful to deal with.

I never had any issues with my WD Silvertip. I only use it for creams and soft soaps, but that may be babying it a little too much.

brucered

System Generated
If you truly feel like you have a defective knot, didn't do anything out of the ordinary to it, contact Larry at WD.

I would give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it's a bad brush. Whipped Dog silvertips are pretty low quality and very hit or miss. Larry's a great guy but his product isn't very good. To be honest, you get what you pay for. I've had three silvertips from him...two of them shed constantly and the third was scratchy.

Top Bottom