What's new

What Is This GEM Called?

I have a GEM Jr., a G-Bar and a GEM Micromatic. My question is what the heck is ​this one called? I bought it a month ago and is a decent little SE, probably my second favourite of the four, but it was listed just as a "Vintage GEM Razor" (photo from the actual eBay listing I won). In the grand scheme of things, it shouldn't matter, but it's driving me slightly goofy that it doesn't have a Jr., G-Bar or Micromatic "name".
$image.jpg

Thanks Prairie-Dad.

<Googles "GEM Featherweight"...first entries are actually threads here on B&B...>

Well, ya learn something new everyday. Although, to be honest "Featherweight" doesn't exactly have the same oomph as a G-Bar or Micromatic!
Thanks again!

The GEM Featherweight's as advertised in the USA were originally called the "NEW GEM FEATHERWEIGHT" ......later on they revamped it and advertised it as the "SLIM-V' FLAT TOP" and mass produced and sold them in cardboard blistered packaging to keep the costs down to compete with Gillette ......As per the so called Heavy Flat Top/G Bar instructions they are referring to it as the NEW "V" Natural Angle Razor......
proxy.php

The British Ever Ready version of the Featherweight, as I understand it, was marketed as the "Natural Angle Razor" with no reference to the term Feather Weight.........:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
Always thought the Featherweight was a missed opportunity for Gem. I have only seen the black handle and light cream colors(sometimes aged to various shades of yellow). ASR was producing various colors for their shaving brushes and a better color palette for this razor handle to match the brushes would have been nice.

Hi Bill,

Yeah, the Featherweight is a later Model that was designed to take a Thinner Modern GEM Blade..These are spot on without any Modification.:001_cool:

Billy

Last edited:
Top Bottom