What's new

Anyone used 1900's Shelby shaving cream/soap?

No personal experience, but I took a look on google books. The blades are probably uncoated carbon steel ca. mid-1940s - early 1960s. Depending on how well they were kept they may have corrosion. I would pass on them unless they were free.

The shaving cream says "lanolized", which was a trend in the 1950s. The mercury logo is not on the blades, and to me the cream looks a little more modern than the blades. It seems like Shelby was primarily a blade brand so the cream may have been an experiment. In that case I suspect it was made by a contract manufacturer. The jar looks like a bad design to me: deeper than it is wide, so the cream at the bottom may be difficult to use.

I think I found the ebay BIN that you are looking at for the cream, and I would pass on that too. The cream visible in the jar looks mighty questionable. I think it may have separated or gone bad. The price might seem attractive, but I think you could get a more reliable bargain from something modern: KMF, say, or one of the Turkish or Indian brands.

Top Bottom