What's new

My One Colgone

I've found it. I actually found it years ago, stopped for a while, tried some others (forgetting all good advice to the contrary) and, then, I found it again. A little over a year ago.

For the past year, I would try it, use it, then get something else the next time.

Never again.

I'll use different aftershaves if I ever need to change up my scent (No one wants to smell the same all the time).

But, as far as cologne proper is concerned, I'm done. I'm gone, I'm off, I'm finished. Game over, and, I won. I found the prize. I found the 'Holy Grail' of Cologne. It matches my skin perfectly.

It's so old-fashioned smelling, I love it. My wife loved it. Little children who smell it on me love it and think I'm good for having it.

I'll never use another cologne.

EDT's are typically either for women, or, are designer scents, or both. I'm not against the idea of using women's scents, but, I've found my cologne.

I use....Taylor of Old Bond Street No. 74 Original.

Best cologne, ever.

So, this thread isn't meant to just extol the virtues of that one scent.

I was wondering who else has made a similar decision, and, what the reasoning was.

Last edited:
I am almost totally opposite. I can use the same soap and after shave for months on end, but I need to have a selection of fragrances to match mood, weather etc.

I'm with David. I enjoy about 35 colognes on my shelf, and often find that what I happen to be wearing is my current favorite. Today it's Midnight Oud by Juliette has a Gun. Tomorrow I'm planning on wearing Kouros and having it become my new favorite.

I have a few that I like, but probably Rochas MAN is the one I wear most of the time. SWMBO and I don't agree on many scents -- this one's a favorite.

proxy.php
:euro:

Glad you found that ONE scent!

For me, I seem to have found a favorite or two for each season, some of which overlap, and use them based on the weather, my mood, etc... Kind of like with clothes.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
When I was young, my sister gave me a bottle of English Leather. I did not use it.

I never used cologne my whole life.

Only this week a fellow at B and B here sent me a bottle of Lime Sec Panaud. I'll use that quite often now.

EDT's are typically either for women, or, are designer scents, or both. I'm not against the idea of using women's scents, but, I've found my cologne.

Er ... each to his own of course but EDT is just a stronger version of Cologne or alternatively a weaker version of EdP. EDT is not specifically for women just as EdP is not specifically for women. In fact some top fragrances are actually what used to be called "Unisex" for women and men or alternatively for men and women and while some men may steer clear of Women's fragrances the same is not true of certain women who love to wear Men's fragrances.

Er ... each to his own of course but EDT is just a stronger version of Cologne or alternatively a weaker version of EdP. EDT is not specifically for women just as EdP is not specifically for women. In fact some top fragrances are actually what used to be called "Unisex" for women and men or alternatively for men and women and while some men may steer clear of Women's fragrances the same is not true of certain women who love to wear Men's fragrances.

+1. If it smells good, I'll wear it. Doesn't matter how it's marketed.

I have too many to count and most were gifts from girlfriends who liked the scent. I rarely wear anything stronger than aftershaves, but there are a couple of EdC or EdT for which I have the matching AS or balm and I'll use those occasionally.

I should have been more clear. I didn't mean to imply that there were no masculine EDTs, just, that, of the ones that there are, most seem to be designer scents sold at the mall.

Most, not all.

I'm not 'above' wearing my wife's EDT, EDP, or Perfume if the occasion is perfect, but, it would have to be at night.

For regular, every day, get me through the day and most of the average evening, I've found it.

I simply have found my one cologne that I could wear at anytime and smell great. It could serve me well to use it exclusively. And, unless I have compelling reason to do so, I won't.

This cologne matches my skin type perfectly.

Last edited:
I actually went through several phrases. I've been narrowing them down for years. Only one cologne remains in my collection.

Last edited:
I'm not too overindulgent with my colognes, so I don't have a huge load to choose from. I have a favourite, and that's GFT, but I still like to mix it up with the others I have now and then. I just got a bottle of Musgo Real Lime Basil and it's just so clean and refreshing. It could be a contender for 1st seat!

Last edited:
I've ordered Cella eau de cologne classic and Cella eau de cologne lavande. Hear good things about it. It's cheap for 250ml bottles.
But the colognes i really like and have are Acca Kappa Moschio Bianco and Jo Malone Nutmeg & Ginger.

I've been back and forth on this, and was stuck on one for day and one for night for the longest time.

I recently re-visited the Penhaligon's line, and now rotate pretty much exclusively through Quercus, Endymion, Sartorial and English Fern.

With me, I actually line the cologne / EDT up with whatever AS I'm using, which also changes by day. Sartorial goes quite well with Clubman, English Fern with Speick and Arlington, etc.

I basically just have Tabac Original for Autumn and Winter and cooler evenings all year. For summer this year I'm going with Joop Nightflight which one review site describes as a Fougere. Personally I don't see it from the notes but if it is I'll just keep quiet about that aspect.

As of today I have but a few aftershaves, I also use them as colognes or whatever. They are Tabac, Metholated Pinaud Cluman and the Veg. If I had to chose just one it would be Tabac. Might as well be called date night with the wife. She LOVES the smell.

Top Bottom