What's new

New DE shaver from Ontario - Comments and Questions

Hello from about 50 miles down the road!
Fendrihan and Italianbarber are even closer to you and have a good amount of shaving supplies.
I recommend watching a lot of shaving videos and prep your face really well before shaving. Pay attention to the direction your beard grows.
Watching someone with experience can sometimes show you your own flaws in shaving.

Welcome to B&B!

1- I wouldn't worry about BBS shaves, they'll happen eventually. Even if they don't it's not a big deal. A DFS works for me, if it happens to be BBS, great! But comfort is more important, IMO.

2 - Blade buffing and skin stretching helped me with the jawline. Shaving a flat surface is much easier.
Very good suggestions, and prep is key too.

Welcome to B&B. There's a lot of great people here to learn from. Don't give too much thought about a BBS, it'll happen eventually. Just take your time and develop a good technique.

I'm following Geofatboy's method of shaving (the neck) north to south on the first pass, then south to north on the second. It's that bony part of the jaw I'm having difficulty with. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome on B&B.

The problem is that we're not all the same. Even if a big part of men have their hairs grow from north to south, some of us don't, especially in neck/jawline area. You need to shave according to your real hair growth. For example, my hair growth around jaw line is from east to west and reversed on the other side. I can go from south to north and north to south of that area as much as i want, not gonna get a close shave until i go ATG (meaning sideways, east to west and west to east).

This same thing might turn your water pink. Maybe you have some areas around the neck, where hair growth is exactly the opposite on your first pass. I know i have them. If i would follow the general consensus that first pass is north to south, i would never have a good shave.

Just take your time to map your beard. There are few tutorials and sketches that will help you with that. Once you nail that down, your shaves should improve.

Don't worry too much about BBS. Just try getting nicks/irritation free shaves. Once you get that, BBS will come naturally.

Welcome.

I agree with many of the comments posted above - at this stage you should be concentrating on getting a close, comfortable shave with no nicks or irritation. Don't worry about BBS. BBS will come later as you refine your technique and learn what works well for your beard and skin.

If part of the problem is that you are feeling rushed, try shaving at a different time of day when you have more time. Sometimes you need to go slower in order to go faster.

Edwin Jagger DE89

My weapon of choice as well. A lovely instrument that performs like a charm for my purposes.

I tried a Muhle R41 yesterday and thought I'd have to call for a medevac once the smoke had cleared. The good news is that a transfusion wasn't deemed necessary.

Greetings from slightly north Yarpy.

Top Bottom