What's new

GEMini 2015

Woe to you Gillette and DE
For the Single Edge Shavers of the world unite
For they know that GEMini is short
Let them who hath understanding
Reckon the makers of the tools
For they are few in number.
Bring out your GEM, ER, STAR, lather catchers and more....

Or in other words, a month of SE shaving with your GEM/ASR variants.
I plan to run the gamut from Star and Hero lather catchers to 1912s, 1914 and 1924, and revisit my seldom used micromatics. And return to the G bar if I can figure out where I left it.
First up tomorrow... GEM Damaskeene with a fresh GEM PTFE SS blade.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Been a while since the last GEMini, or maybe I missed it .. haven't been single much of late, but still have a few around, so signing in ..

$IMG_6787.jpg

Not sure I can improve on this. Maybe a 1914, but that's about it.
One of my favorite razors, a fresh blade, my best brush and my favorite soap.

A good start to GEMini.
$uploadfromtaptalk1432333929156.jpg

+1 on the Ever-Ready, one of my favorites as well! Not an official GEMini but I guess fish swim in schools so I'm in!

Star/Gem, Wolf Whiskers, The Kraken, Aqua Velva, Yardley Talc

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 239
New Gem/Gem, Wolf Whisker Synthetic, RazoRock Lime, Captain's Choice Lime, Yardley Invisible Talc

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 229
Missed yesterday, but this morning was a glorious ER 1914 (a replate from Krona Kruiser), fresh PTFE blade and Mystic Water Brown Windsor.

Dang that was a good shave.

Sounds great, I need to spend some time with my 1914s, I always seem to opt for the 1912s?

May 24th - Ever-Ready Lather Catcher/Gem, Wolf Whiskers Synthetic, Strop Shoppe Baker Street, Bootlegger's El Dorado, Yardley Invisible Talc

Might be able to swing this, but only have one GEM, my single SE, and find that my biggest challenge with this razor is sourcing good blades. I've got to learn to stop picking up blades at convenience stores, that trick never ends well for me, but I picked up a couple of nice blades from Tryablade so I can see how far those take me.

Might be able to swing this, but only have one GEM, my single SE, and find that my biggest challenge with this razor is sourcing good blades. I've got to learn to stop picking up blades at convenience stores, that trick never ends well for me, but I picked up a couple of nice blades from Tryablade so I can see how far those take me.

Sounds like you need more SEs! What Gem do you have now?

FYI - If you have one near you, Rite Aid pharmacies generally carry Gem brand SE blades.

It's a fairly modern GEM, present day production, I believe, but not sure as it was a gift from a friend who gave it a spin but just didn't get bit by the SE bug (or maybe he got bit by the SE too much).

Trying to keep my RAD in check, my razor racks are full, but I get itchy every time I see a nice lather catcher...

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Latest GEM I have here is a Contour II, the shave was ok, but this one deserved to be the last of the line, mostly plastic ..

$IMG_7377.jpg

Ah, I see... I really didn't know much about this razor, I thought it was still in production especially since it looks so new. It's a Heavy-Duty Flat Top, or G-bar, works really well when given a good blade and is the vintage razor in my collection that's in the best, like-new shape.

I shaved with it yesterday for GEMini with a new GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated blade with two passes on the exposed patches of skin on my face that aren't beard, a soap that I'm struggling to remember the name of (a sample that I haven't been using), my Tweezerman badger brush, still hanging strong for being my first brush, followed by an application of Crystal alum block, lavender witch hazel, and The Veg.

$IMG_3632 (Custom).JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom