What's new

How do you eat these?

I have been with a crew of Chinese guys many times for lunch,and they eat the shell,the entire shrimp,it's the crunchiness that is "special".I tried it as well,there is no bad taste,just crunch,that's all.

Ahh, but here is the rub, as you get older the intestine thins and eating shrimp skin becomes a dangerous activity. I had a friend who had eaten shrimp whole for all his life but the last meal he ever ate was a batch of large Gulf shrimp which he ate shell and all. But this time the shell cut the intestine in numerous places and perforated it in two places. Four days later he died of the infection in his body. An autopsy reveled the culprit was indeed the shell of the shrimp he had eaten. Ask your MD and he will confirm that shrimp shell is not something you want to ingest regularly.

It gets all over your fingers when you remove the shell and a bit of the flavour then transfers to the praw you eat.
Are ya'll ready for a NOLA boy to weigh in?

Pull them apart where the head meets the body and try to get as much as you can to pull out of the head portion ( wiggling seems to work best). Peel and eat the tail, then slightly squeeze the head and suck out the good stuff that resides in the head.

This is basically it.

Now we're getting into crawfish territory.
And it's similar... but the joy of crawfish is being able to suck the juice out the heads!!

The seasoning on the outside is how ignorant Yankees do it. They were probably boiled or steamed with salt water. YUCK! Ya gotta berl 'em in some Zatarain's or Rex crab berl. Den ya don't need no seasonin' sprankled up dere! Best if eaten outside, with friends, and beer.

proxy.php

* Picture seems to include crab and crawfish as well.

Since it's shrimp, you peel and eat. If it's properly seasoned and boiled crawfish - SUCK THE HEADS & PINCH THE TAILS!

Just ate at a nice Japanese restaurant in April and was told to eat every inch. Spoiler alert, that crunch is worth it!

That dish looks fantastic. I have no hesitation to eat them heads, shells and all when they are not too large. If cooked properly, the shells become crunchy and they are delicious with some sort of seasoning.
I have lived in Japan and that was often the way to eat seafood.

I don't mind the shells; I'll quite happily just pull the legs off and crunch the shell along with the prawn. Maybe the texture is an acquired taste though. But don't forget to suck the heads!

Go back to the adage " Suck the head and eat the tail". It's works for more than one thing:w00t:

The proper way is to pull off the head and suck out the insides, then eat the tail whole. The shell and legs are cooked good enough to eat and actually healthy.

Don't waste any of that flavor. Drizzle that lime over it for an added punch.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This is all I can think about
View attachment 572833

Remind me to ask you about cooking a turkey for Christmas.

proxy.php

Pull them apart where the head meets the body and try to get as much as you can to pull out of the head portion ( wiggling seems to work best). Peel and eat the tail, then slightly squeeze the head and suck out the good stuff that resides in the head.
Suckin' the head out seems pretty popular in places other than North America, but we tend to be a bit more squeamish about that.

My lips are hot.

You are lucky I am not a moderator.

We can do custom titles ... and custom avatars.

proxy.php

Top Bottom