What's new

How long does your soap last?

My 4 oz can of Shaving Yeti will be one year next month (also happens to be my very first soap I have ever bought). There is still a lot left on the edge of the can. I shave about three times a week. $7 a year on soap isn't too bad. I thought that some of the other soaps were expensive, but now seeing how long 4 oz can last, I don't think even $30 for soap is too expensive.

Soaps last a long time. Even soft soaps like Arko and Proraso last me forever. Of course having numerous soaps and creams in use helps.

I rotate more than 6, usually, but recently, while testing so thing else, I had to use the same soap everyday. I was using a one-third size 'sample" puck of Ginger's Garden and used it up in about 6 weeks of every-day shaving

Mine last over a year, using a mug and brush. I only have two soaps, I switched just so I could try a new one out not because I ran out. :)

-Stephen

Over a year in and still haven't finished one. At around 2g per shave with more than a dozen soaps in rotation, it'll be a while!

I can say I've settled on a few brands that I really enjoy (Caties Bubbles, Stirling, SCS, Proraso) so I've given away/traded away a lot of the other stuff that didn't work as well for me.

I've been cutting pucks from a kilo brick of Cella. It seems as if at least part of the brick will still be around after I'm gone...

The hard pucks last a long time. After four weeks of using Truefitt & Hill soap daily, it still looks new. Same with my GFT soaps.

I get lots of nice slick lather, and the pucks still look like new.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
About a gram per shave for most soaps with typical brushes and three passes. 1.5 grams per shave for lather hogs and softer soaps, 1/2 gram per shave for triple milled soaps and moderate brushes. So that 90 gram $35 puck of C&S Oxford and Cambridge will last well over a year at three shaves per week.

The hard soaps are the real bargain.

Cheers, Steve

My 4 oz can of Shaving Yeti will be one year next month (also happens to be my very first soap I have ever bought). There is still a lot left on the edge of the can. I shave about three times a week. $7 a year on soap isn't too bad. I thought that some of the other soaps were expensive, but now seeing how long 4 oz can last, I don't think even $30 for soap is too expensive.

Blau, you're so right!! Now, splurge and enjoy!!

When I used cartridges and Barbasol, a can of Barbasol lasted over a year. That was less than half a cent per day. Now that I am into DE, I've switched to using Arko on most days, swtiching to creams occasionally just to keep things interesting.. I am wearing down one puck in the vintage mug at home, and appear to have used just less than 20% of the stick I carry on the road, all in the course of a couple months. I suspect between the two of them, I may run out of both after a year's use.

It varies on the soap but I am a light loader and don't make excess lather to waste. I do 2 pass shaves during the work week, 3 passes on the weekends, face lather with a right sized brush, use soft water and get:

about 80 shaves from a 60g puck of Haslinger hard soap
about 90 shaves from a 150g tub of TOBS
about 110 shaves from a 150g tub of Proraso
about 180 shaves from a 120g triple milled soap like Mitchell Wool Fat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom