What's new

Kanayama #3?

Hello to All,

I received my Kanayama 20000 strop (from JNS) a few weeks ago. I also ordered the 'spare' napped leather strop piece.

I have 'massaged' and worked the canvas side as has been recommended, and it is now much more pliant.

The canvas side does make a fair bit of noise in use :)

All in all, I have found (so far, for me) the 20000 to be an excellent strop :001_smile

I am making up a hanging fitting for the napped leather, so I shall see what that is like soon.

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Been using a llama Kanayama #3 that I bought from isi07734 for about a month now. I got all three components. "Thanks".

Its been about two months that I've waited on JNS, or Aframes Tokyo to restock the Kanayama#3's. Finally got an email from Takeshi Aoki @ Aframes on Sunday, saying they got some #3's. Needless to say i quickly pulled the trigger. This will be my 2nd Kanayama #3.

Has anyone put the linen strop in place of the suede one. I too enjoy using it, but aren't sure it does much..

I used to have a #3, it now resides with a good friend, I replaced it with the 40K which has the hemp? canvas second component.

I'm not a fan of the Kanayama suede, just didn't seem to do more than clean and heat up the blade, the canvas on the other hand is very good.
I found it stiff when new but it broke in nicely and performs well, I use it allot on large, heavily ground blades.

On everything else I prefer genuine flax linen.

I like the K3 so much that I bought a few backups. I use all three components and as far as the canvas is concerned, the sound and stiffness seemed counterintuitive at first. How could that material NOT degrade a great edge fresh off a JNat? I recently figured out the canvas actually refines an edge much more than just the suede and cordovan components!

Top Bottom