What's new

Gonna Do It Soon

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Ya'll have talked me into it without even trying. I have always been interested in straight razors but never gave them a chance. As soon as the yearly restraint is over, I will purchase a couple from Whipped Dog.
i already have what I believe is a setup that is sufficient for honing and stropping. I will definitely let you all know how it goes!
Thanks again to you enablers!
marty

Just remember to do a proper prep, stretch your skin and bias your lather for glide vs cushion. Spine is a little closer to the skin for atg. Um.... never be tentative or jabby with a straight either, it always ends badly

"Restraint," what's that? Congrats on the choice!

NOW make it happen!!! But if you don't, we'll still be here to help.

martym

Thanks! I will keep this advice and everything I have read here and on the Internet in my toolbox.
I am going to keep practicing honing and stropping my knives and maybe reprofile one to a shaving bevel and edge and see how that works.

Thanks! I will keep this advice and everything I have read here and on the Internet in my toolbox.
I am going to keep practicing honing and stropping my knives and maybe reprofile one to a shaving bevel and edge and see how that works.

You're going to shave with a regular knife? Adventurous. Straight shaving to me is a rewarding and almost zen experience, very different than DE. Good luck.

Congrats! Keep us posted and don;t be shy with questions as you learn. Also, many people find it helpful to start a shave journal here to document their progress (I wish I did).

martym

You're going to shave with a regular knife? Adventurous. Straight shaving to me is a rewarding and almost zen experience, very different than DE. Good luck.

Thats how I feel about sharpening my knives so I hope it transfers to straight razors and straight shaving. I only want to see if I can get a shaving edge on a knife and get a comfortable shave with it but it won't be a habit. Just have to try it!

while you're waiting....watch a bunch of videos...I find myself going back to videos to see how different people approach my trouble areas.

martym

while you're waiting....watch a bunch of videos...I find myself going back to videos to see how different people approach my trouble areas.

I am and will continue to watch videos and read. Also watching different ways people set bevels, hone, and strop. I shall keep an open mind and use what works for me. The good thing is that I have always enjoyed sharpening freehand and keep a pretty consistent angle. That should help.
question: does it make a difference whether I use a hanging strip or one mounted on wood? I use strops glued to wood for my knives.

Razors have bevel angles of 15-20 degrees and are honed and stropped with the spine in contact with the hone or strop. Not saying that it's impossible to shave with a knife, just trying to point out the differences.

Hold on now.

You plan on getting the razors as soon as the "yearly restraint" is over.

Well, you are already planning it, which is tantamount to doing it, thereby the idea of restraint has already been rendered null and void.

Just go out and buy your razors. There is nothing left to prove.

Go forth and buy, my son!

Top Bottom