What's new

Suggestions on "Birth Year" razor, Please

I am currently using an EJ 89 and Astra SP blades. It has proven to be the perfect combination for me. I can attain a BBS shave daily with no blood drawn.
I want to find a 1955 "something", but I don't know what it would be, other than I would prefer Gillette, because that's what my Dad used.
I use Williams, an Old Spice mug and Omega boar brush.

Please let me know what I should be looking for. Also, can these be purchased from a B&B vendor, or must I go to E bay.

Thank you for your sage advice!

Go for a Super Speed. Classic shavers. Available on eBay, Etsy, or post a WTB in the Gentlemanly deals forum. You can get a very nice one for $20-$25 delivered.

You will be looking for a Date Code of "A."

Look at the whole catalog of Gillette production here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

In 1955, Gillette produced 3 models, a 3-piece Tech, and Red and Blue-tipped Superspeeds.
Other razor manufacturers didn't put Date Codes on their razors, so you don't know what you'll wind up with.

You can place a WTB (Want To Buy) notice here on B&B, or one of the many Facebook wet-shaving groups.
But your best bet is probably going to be eBay.

And don't hold your breath. Searching for an item from a specific year can be a long, drawn out process. It took me about 3 years before I found a Z-3 Superspeed for my Birthday Razor, and it was in pretty rough shape. Since then, I placed a bid on a cased, collector grade Z-3 but didn't meet the seller's reserve. So I've seen 2 of my BDRs in 7 years.

Good Luck with the hunt.

It's a Birth Year razor, get something nice.

A President or a Diplomat.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I found an A1 Flair Tip Super Speed (1st quarter 1955, my birth quarter, on EBay) last month. I am very satisfied with the razor and it was in Excellent/Fine condition. I use it every other day. Are you planning to shave with it or collect it? If shaving with it then a "User Grade" will work just fine and a little plate loss just adds to the character. If you are planning on collecting then you will spend more for a better quality. You didn't mention budget but, you can get User Grades or better for ~$20. I saw an A1 Gillette Tech User Grade on Etsy.com last week. Good luck with your quest. I strongly recommend getting from a member here at the Gentlemanly Deals Forum if you can because we take better care of our razors IMO!

Go for a Super Speed. Classic shavers. Available on eBay, Etsy, or post a WTB in the Gentlemanly deals forum. You can get a very nice one for $20-$25 delivered.

+1

I picked up a really nice B-4 (my birth year and quarter) Super Speed with a nice original case on the bay for less than 20.

I'd go with a Super Speed. They're just good razors. Remember, you can narrow it down to which quarter of the year too: 1,2,3 & 4. So if you were born in the winter, for example, get a A-4.

You will be looking for a Date Code of "A."

Look at the whole catalog of Gillette production here: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/US_Gillette_Dating_Information

In 1955, Gillette produced 3 models, a 3-piece Tech, and Red and Blue-tipped Superspeeds.
Other razor manufacturers didn't put Date Codes on their razors, so you don't know what you'll wind up with.

You can place a WTB (Want To Buy) notice here on B&B, or one of the many Facebook wet-shaving groups.
But your best bet is probably going to be eBay.

And don't hold your breath. Searching for an item from a specific year can be a long, drawn out process. It took me about 3 years before I found a Z-3 Superspeed for my Birthday Razor, and it was in pretty rough shape. Since then, I placed a bid on a cased, collector grade Z-3 but didn't meet the seller's reserve. So I've seen 2 of my BDRs in 7 years.

Good Luck with the hunt.

Thank you all very much for the input!
I went to eBay and saw A1 super speeds and Red Tip Flares.
Please tell me the difference. It appears from what I read on the forum, the Red Tip is more aggressive?

Thank you all very much for the input!
I went to eBay and saw A1 super speeds and Red Tip Flares.
Please tell me the difference. It appears from what I read on the forum, the Red Tip is more aggressive?
Yes, the Red Tip Flare is more aggressive.

Of the three models Gillette made that year, I would recommend the Tech. I'm not a fan of Superspeed razors since I don't like TTOs, but you'll find they do have a very large, vary loyal following.

The Tech, being a 3-piece razor, allows you to swap heads and handles with other models so you can create a variety of FrankenRazors.

However, you should jump on the first razor you find with the right Date Code ... a Birthday Razor doesn't have to be your best shaver, since you're buying it more for sentimental reasons than anything else.

...I would prefer Gillette, because that's what my Dad used.
Can you remember what model or type (TTO, 3-piece, etc.) your Dad used, or pick it out from a line-up? If so, I'd start with that or similar. Maybe get a user grade to start out with, or whatever you can find, then go from there if it's too aggressive, mild, or just right.

I still don't have a birth year razor, but I'm proud to have the actual Super Speed that was my Dad's, and I bet you'd enjoy having the same model your Dad had.

Last edited:
Maybe its just me, but I vote for all the Gillette's made in 55. You can even narrow it down to the quarter you were born in. Like if you were born in just, you want an A3 lol.
But I say get all the razors Gillette made in 55 lol.

Of the three models Gillette made that year

Gillette made 5 (even more options if you consider different plating) different razors in 1955:

- Tech
- Flare Tip Super Speed
- Blue Tip SS
- Red Tip SS
- President and Diplomat (same razor except the former is nickel and rhodium and the latter is gold plated).

Gillette made 5 (even more options if you consider different plating) different razors in 1955:

- Tech
- Flare Tip Super Speed
- Blue Tip SS
- Red Tip SS
- President and Diplomat (same razor except the former is nickel and rhodium and the latter is gold plated).

I concur with Edgar. There were more than three, because they still made the regular flair tip as well as the blue and red tip Super Speeds. The Tech, along with Edgars favorites, the President and Diplomat, brings it to five models to choose from.

(I still like the regular Super Speed as my choice).

Top Bottom