What's new

Suddenly getting razor burn?

I started shaving with a straight razor roughly three months ago. I've been shaving every other day with it and carefully stropping the razor for about 60 laps before use.

Last week I had a bit of a vacation and hadn't shaved for five days but Thursday was a family dinner for an elder relative's birthday so I wanted to look nice and did my usual shave ritual. For the first time in ages I had razor burn. I figured this was a result of not shaving for several days and shrugged it off.

This afternoon I went to shave and had razor burn today as well.

The only change from previous shaves I could think of is I've gotten a fair amount of sun. Not a sunburn but a fairly good tan (for a pale skinned guy like me) and figure maybe my skin isn't as pliable.

Am I on the right track here or does anyone here have other ideas?

Any tips for dealing with razor burn?

I believe you self diagnosed the cause for your razor burn. I would purchase some Nivea Aftershave Balm and apply immediately after your shave. Also apply some lotion to your face before your shave. Your skin needs moisture and hydration.

Yeah I've never been one to take good care of my skin other than simply washing my face but I guess that needs to change now. :001_smile

Is pre-shave oil any good? Would that be enough or should I look for a good moisturizer? I do use after shave!

Do you have a fabric component. It could be an edge issue, many of which linen or canvas have great remedial benefit.

Top Bottom